Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Leveling in P5 - Resource is always overloaded

3 replies [Last post]
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Just some questions to those of you in the know.

I’ve just got the schedules I manage to a point where I can finally look at doing resource leveling.
BUT!
My first look at the resultant resource histograms left me somewhat bewildered to say the least.

It seems that one of my resources is still overloaded above their Max Units/Time???

How can this be??

All of my previous experience with other tools has seen the resource profile leveled so as to accomodate the max availibility of all resources.

I note in the leveling options window that there is a setting to set the max percentage of overload of the resources, however it seems only selectable if you whish to maintian some sort of float parameter??

I’m just a little curious as to weather I may have missed a setting somewhere.

Any help glady accepted and appreciated.

With Thanks
Andy

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 41 weeks ago. Offline
R/UT greater than Max/UT leaving the activity on the early dates is normal in P3, back to about 1997 that I can vouch for, and Open Plan for 10 years before that, and IBM’s Projacs for 5 years before that and all the K&H and Project 2 stuff before that.....

I think a version of Artemis let you chose the late dates, but I always thought that was wrong.

If you are levelling in P5 YOU MUST HAVE SERVICE PACK THREE!!! You have been warned!
Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Regarding this topics, I give up doing it for two reasons :

- Parameters to change are in the "Schedule" function. Therefore, it seems there is no way to do if you want to schedule several projects together with only one needing Leveling resources.

- I only use this function in "Simulation" space, to get an idea of what to do, but make changes manually in the actual project. And I also found some strange results such as yours.

Sorry I cannot help you more.

Patricia.

Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Well it seems a bit of investigating got done today at work with my off-sider.

In a nutshell what we have found is that the resource leveling the algorithm can’t handle having a resource assignment on an activity with a “remaining units/time” greater than the “max units/time” assigned to the resource.

When this occurs the activity in question is scheduled to commence on its early dates, even if it means overloading the resource.

In the past I have not encountered this issue as the software I have used to do full resource leveling had a parameter built into the algorithm which allowed an activity to be delayed for a manually set period of time before forcibly starting the activity.

Never before have I seen the activity default back to its early dates, there wasn’t even a warning or notification that I could see that identified that this had occurred.

I’m sending an e-mail off to Primavera tomorrow in an attempt to find out if this is normal or if I’ve missed something.

If anyone else has some info on this let me know through this forum please.

Andy