Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Integration API - P3e

11 replies [Last post]
Chris Radecki
User offline. Last seen 6 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Are planners out there using the Integration API.

Before I delve deeper into trying use it, is it worth using?

Does it work? What are you using it for?

What I am seeking to setup is a CTR type format using Notebook Topics as the input/export locations - any experience? Reporting in P3e does not seem to have the functionality?

Sorry if this is a repeat of another thread, what with search facility down.

Thanks.

Replies

Arthur Godbeer
User offline. Last seen 14 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
To clarify: The API CD is supplied with the others, and I presume that is what you mean when you say that your IT guys have it. But it is not usable until you have asked for the API licence. In other words your licence file will have zeroes in the API line, and will have to be replaced with one that has the appropriate number of licences. In the example of Alex Wong’s own licence file, he has 12 Named Users.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Chris

Make sure your license file have the following

// Project Management NU(12), CU(0), No Expiration Date
// Portfolio Analysis NU(12), CU(0), No Expiration Date
// Timesheets NU(0), CU(0), No Expiration Date
// myPrimavera Portfolios NU(12), CU(0), No Expiration Date
// myPrimavera Projects NU(12), CU(0), No Expiration Date
// myPrimavera Resources NU(12), CU(0), No Expiration Date
// Methodology Management NU(12), CU(0), Version: HEAVY, No Expiration Date
// Contractor NU(0), CU(0), No Expiration Date
// ContractorMaxDomains(+), MaxTasksPerDomain(+)
// Integration API NU(12), CU(0), No Expiration Date

Then you should be OK

Alex
Chris Radecki
It looks like the API is available on the Primavera website.

My mob seems to have it already, so will try to get through the IT maze and install.

Then will have to start to learn a bit of Java. Thanks for the heads up.
Chris Radecki
It looks like the API is available on the Primavera website.

My mob seems to have it already, so will try to get through the IT maze and install.

Then will have to start to learn a bit of Java. Thanks for the heads up.
Arthur Godbeer
We may be talking about two different things. I’ve referred to the API and its capabilities. If someone (and I know Primavera Australia is one) supplies software that makes integration easier, then that s/w would be at a cost. When Primavera is integrated with any other system, using the API, then someone has to do the work. (Even though all the "hooks" are there, and the data structure is well documented.) You may chose to do that yourselves, or contract it out. Or you may take advantage of someone else having already some or even all of that work. Perhaps that is what they are offering, you need to ask them.
Alex Wong
Dear All,

Are you sure API is free??
Because our dealer (Primavera Australia) is asking for A$25,000 for the use of it

Alex
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Chris,

I/We have lots of experience of the SDK and the API. As a company we build interfaces between work management systems, such as SAP and Maximo, to Primavera.

If you are an Excel guru who wants a cute single-user interface to Primvera the SDK is tolerable. If you want an industrial-strength multi-user interface that moves LOTS of data, the SDK is your worst nightmare.

The API is hard to use. You have to code in Java which is a special form of torture for us over 50s. It works. Code you create migrates from one version of Primavera to the next. DO NOT use the SDK for a "corporate" solution.
Arthur Godbeer
Chris, even if there are no responses from API users in this forum , the API is certainly being used. Although the majority of users will have no need for it, there are many who do, and are doing. It is also used by Primavera partners who integrate their software with Primavera, including several who offer integration software to systems such as SAP.

The API is well documented, but someone has to do some programming.
Chris Radecki
Sound like API is not being used. Sound like SDK might be the way.

Could not see how to export P3e Notebook Topics in Excel - can do it with the other Activity fields. Primavera (bless ’em) indicates that this may be an addon for the future!. Is there another way to get to Excel.

Looking at the Notebook Topic reports in HTML - seem to loose the formating on reporting.

Thanks for thetip.
Arthur Godbeer
Neither the original API (ODBC, but observing the business rules) nor the newer one (XML) are charged for at present. They are both "delivered" on the CDs, but the XML API (on its own CD) is only useable after you have asked for it. It is not needed by most users, and is not initially included in your licence file. That is done on request, and requires the licence file to be amended.
Alex Wong
Hi

API - We we used API for integration. However, it have a cost. I believe Primavera Australia is selling the API license for approx A$20k+

Worth it or not... you have to justisfy it. I suggest you use SDK instead its free.

Secondly, Reporting with P3e ... yes P3e is rather limited.
Exporting using its existing export function should give you a very good output that can then create in Excel.

HTH

Alex