Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Adding "sandpit" database

5 replies [Last post]
Melanie Eastoe
User offline. Last seen 17 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have just completed a P3e training course and am brand new to the whole project management scene. Can anybody offer some advice or instructions how I can create a "sandpit" database for practice/training to avoid corrupting my main data?
regards,
mel

Replies

Emma Seaton
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
You might find it easiest just to set up ’Sandpit’ under the EPS as a section heading and put all your test projects under it. This was available this way on a CITRIX based P3e and i’ve set it up on my standalone version too. If you don’t want the test projects to show up in reports or summaries set them to inactive or planned in the Projects window. I don’t see how they can corrupt other data in the database - then again i’ve not come across any corrupt data yet....?? ;o)
Melanie Eastoe
User offline. Last seen 17 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks guys... have since discovered my software was not installed complete on my pc, CDs are on their way to rectify this - Primavera rep is assisting me.
Mel
Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Melanie,

You need the first P3 CD and let it autorun (or double click on autorun.exe if it does not) then choose Install Other Tools then Server Databases. Program will lead you through creating a new database and you then need to configure it as described below.

If you are not running stand-alone, I would suggest you speak to your DBA about creating the database on the server.

The admin guide on the docs CD has a good description on how to set up databases for both Oracle, MS-SQL and stand-alone.
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Sanjiv

Doing this will only add a database alias, it does not create a new database. If you do this you could end up deleting or changing important data in the belief that you are working in a safe area.

A sandpit is simply another database, installed the same way as your live database, and once this has been installed you can then create an alias in Project Manager to point to the sandpit.

Cheers
Sanjiv Parekh
User offline. Last seen 13 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
when you click on p3e icon it will open up dilog box. click on PMDB database ...likck and create new PMDB databse and call it test or sandpit for play around