Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Assistance with V5

36 replies [Last post]
Mark Mortimore
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello
I am looking at upgrading from 3.1 - V5 and have managed to obtain a trial version.
Before I commit and follow up with training, I would like to chat to someone who uses V5 in anger, to help me make the best use of the software.
If anyone in the Heathrow or Gatwick areas could spare me a bit of time, I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards
Mark

Replies

Naveed Tariq, PE,...
User offline. Last seen 14 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Printing Cost or resource S-Curves is simple.

For cost S-curve go to Show on bottom -> Activity usage profile.

For resource S-curve go to show on bottom -> Resource Usage Profile.

Regards
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there

I must be missing something here because I don’t have any problem printing S curves in V5. I just format the curve(s) on the screen, go to print preview, page setup, options tab, tick the Profile box.

HTH
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

Use the navigation buttons provided, however, to print a S-curve is still not available.
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
James, Dave is right, if you want to do an S-Curve on the activity screen PM me an email address and I can send you a PPT showing how it can be done.
Dave Dodds
User offline. Last seen 4 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
James,
I have stepped backward into P3 3.1, but used P3e/c. I believe that you can show your resource curve along the bottom pane of the screen, and also print it. Can’t remember how at the moment, but will try to find out. I don’t think you have to go into the reports for it.

Dave
James Saldigor
User offline. Last seen 12 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mr Philip,
I have noticed that in P3 3.1 when you roll up the codes or summarize the activities, it gives some percentage that cannot be edited. These percentage, i used in my progress data sheets however in PPM, this facility seems to be not available, why is this so?, any idea.
Thanks
James Saldigor
Hi guys,

In my previous post i mentioned Primavera Project Planner to be friendly, i mean is Primavera Project Management, the User friendly one.
Even the name sometimes confuses me,

thanks
James Saldigor
Hi Mr Philip,

Havent heard of such "Desicion Edge" but anyway i’ll make enquiries, for time-being i will utilise my excel to generate these curves and by the way, i still have Primavera 3.1 installed stand alone in some cases where things in PPM is not yet "discovered" in my exploration.

Thanks a lot

Cheers,
Philip Jonker
Hi Shane,

I have been using the product for almost a year, it has some great features, but also pitfalls. It is fairly simple when you are running a single user or stand alone version. The problems become more interesting when you run concuerrent licenses, ie multi-users. The OBS is not really that important if you are stand alone, but becomes fairly critical when you go into the multi-user (concurrent user) area. If you do not set up your EPS structure and OBS structures correctly you can cause problems for yourself.

By the way James, The product you are looking for is called "decision edge"

Shane Harding
User offline. Last seen 17 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
I have been using PPM5 for a few months now, and I see a lot of positives from it. Does anybody use the "threshold" feature? And if so, how does it work for you?

I grasp most of the new features just fine, but the setting up of our database has been an adventure. There are 2 users at this time for my company. We have 3 licenses; using a stand alone for me, using a stand alone for the other scheduler, and using one for the database that is on the server. This is due to the fact that we have to be mobile when we travel to update on site and away from the office. Is this standard? Or is there an easier way to acheive what we are needing?

Also, since we both have stand alone copies we set up our ESP and OBS as we saw fit. Can anybody give me an example of how they set there ESP and OBS up? (as in real life examples) I know how to actually set it up, but was looking for ideas to be better organized and to make sure I was utilizing both features for what they were designed for.

Sorry for this post being so long, but when I found this website I about fell over. It is so nice to be able to talk to people who know what they are doing!

Thanks,
Shane
Philip Jonker
Hi James,

There is such a product, will forward the name to you, bit of a memory lapse here.

James Saldigor
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the tips, This Primavera Project Planner, more friendly stuff when it comes to editing and data input, Preparation of the overall plan especially in a multi discipline environment is much faster but the built-in reports cannot create a resource curve, does it come with a supplemental report application like for example Infomaker in P3 3.1?

I create my reports S-curves in excel.

regards,

Philip Jonker
Hi guys thanks,

The "Engineer" concept might do the trick, the only question is the amount of coding involved. The obs is applied to within the parties involved in the project from our perspective, what I require is to show the information, to other parties with a step down from the OBS, and reflect and restrict access to what they need to see, maybe "engineer" can do this. Thanks for your input.

Regards

Philip
Andrew Godfrey
User offline. Last seen 8 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
I should have said that those roles are specific to the Engineering & Construction (E&C) sector.

If you visit the Primavera website and select your industry sector you will be able to view the appropriate roles...

http://www.primavera.com/industry/index.asp
Andrew Godfrey
Project Websites are a good way of presenting project data to relevant stakeholders.

In terms of the software the official name is Primavera and then modules are broken down by Roles. For example the core scheduling engine (P3e, P5, PPM) is known as Planner Scheduler. The module previously known as myPrimavera is now called Engineer.

Hope this helps

Joao Ribeiro
User offline. Last seen 5 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Philip.

If you can give those third party access to the database, you can set their users with the views you want. Otherwise, I think it is a pending improvement for Primavera.

HTH.
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

You are mostly right, but lets rather use the correct abreviations, I suggest rather than P5 or V5, using PPM V5, or even shortening it to PPM5, which stands for Primavera Project Manager version 5. This will more accurately define the program. I have this problem as I am reviewing CV’s on an ongoing basis, and get things like P3 v5, P5, etc.It would be nice to have a general abreviation in the market place, as this will clarify it.

As for the single database concept, it is difficult for new users to understand, especially for those not who do not have the experience of relational databases, and especially in the concept of the newer 32 bit types.

The problem I have here, is supplying a program in a soft format to another party. You can export to an .XER file, but this will not necessary give the view you want to give. You have to ensure that you also export the views and filters you use, and at the same time explain the use of thes to the person you are sending it to. In p3 it was simple, backup the program and send send it, and the recipient sees what you want him to see, maybe he needs a filter, but just explain that. The concept of the single database is simple, but a lot of thought has to go into presenting it to other users of PPM5. So I find the simplest route is to send programs via PDF’s.

Any advice out there?

Regards,

Philip
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Also for backing up your database in P5 (SQL), u logon to the SQL server and then to "Programs"-->"Microsoft SQL Server"-->"Enterprise Manager" then u choose "Databases" and then right click on your databse and "All Tasks"-->"Backup database" and then select where u want to put the file.
Andrew Godfrey
Version 5 runs on a SQL or Oracle database (the software is delivered with an MSDE database). At a user level, you will have access to the projects through the Enterprise Project structure (EPS). Security access to the project files is controlled through user profiles and the Organisational Breakdown Structure (OBS).

Hope that this helps.
Regards,
Andrew
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
James

You can’t see a set of files for a V5 project. Every project is stored in a single database, which is made up of a large number different tables. Depending on what type of database you are running and where it is stored, you might be able to see the physical file but you would need database management software to make any sense of it.

James Saldigor
Marcio and Philip,

Thanks for the kind reply, what i mean in the file structure is that,i could not find any folder similar to the one in P3 that is P3WIN\PROJECTS - the place where i know that 24 files are there belongs to one project. In PM, i browsed the subdirectories and i didnt find, i can view projects only in Projects which is inside PM, not in the Windows explorer.

Thanks a lot,
Philip Jonker
Hi James,

1:Basically Marcio is right, it is just a question if you undeerstand the menus.
2: The export to xer works, but it is better to set up your server to export every evening to a backup file.
3: This as Marcio said is a difficult question, It is going back to to basics in structuring database, you have to understand on a different level, first to structure your EPS (Enterprise Projects Structure), below this you structure your projects, and below this you structure your WBS. Don’t worry if these are not perfect, as you can structureactivity codes in the same way, and present the project in any way you want to. You can build any code structures you want. And you can duplicate the EPS , with the WBS, or go any way you want to. It takes a bit of thinking outside the box, but it works. and you can present anything you want to show.

Regards

Philip
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
1 - "Projects" / "Default" / "Auto-Numbering Defaults"

2 - "Edit" / "Export" - "Import". When u "Export", Primavera creates a single .XER file. So u can handle it.

3 - Did’nt uderstand your question as well. Are u asking how to handle data-base?

Regards.
James Saldigor
Hi Mr Philip,
Thank you for your willingness to help me.
My questions will be more of Primavera Project Management (PPM) in relation to Primavera Project Planner.Here are some that i wasnt able to resolve. I tried going thru the help function but i wasnt succesful.

1. Auto increment of activity ID in PPM
2. What is the counter part of Project utilities in PM-functions like project backup,copy,
3. File structure in PPM,and how to handle PPM files specially when the it is installed in a shared server.

I am looking forward for you kind response and I thank you in advance.

Regards,
Philip Jonker
Hi James,

Ask me a question, where you need help
James Saldigor
Hi Mr Philip,
Please help me with Primavera Project Management.

Thanks,
Philip Jonker
Hi James/Andrew,

Have been home for an hour and a half, tried to spend a bit of quality time with my wife who is recovering from a spinal fusion operation. these are the least problems in my life, I had about thirty error messages from Primavera V5 today, and had to reboot my computor at least five times. My Primavera administrator is highly experienced, and is of great help. However, when you are trying to meet a deadline, these issues tend to make you negative. V5 in general performs well, but if you guys want the answers to the problems, we have figured them out. Ask the questions, as you come acros the problems, we tried to start a database along these lines, but the problem outgrew itself, so we just found work around solutions, and as such manage it on a day to day basis. Go to the tilos forum, where I just spoke about the problem, and realise the magnitude.

The point is what is the alternative... Planners unite.

Regards

Philip
James Saldigor
Hi Philip,

I too would like to share or to take a share with what we can establish in P5 which i just had a present switch from P3 3.1. If you have a guide or manual to get me started, i would appreciate it much. My email is james_saldigor@yahoo.com Thanks that you are there kind enough to share. As i move on with my learning and discovery of things to things in this version, i would be very glad to have knowledge storm with everyone. Distance learning is indeed not a problem, seeing face to face is of course is.

Thank you very much Philip.

cheers,
Andrew Taylor
User offline. Last seen 17 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Philip

Was just looking through some of the posts and stumbled across this one. You seem to have established an experience with Ver 5 and I am just wondering whether you in fact you have documented any of these and if so would you mind sharing them.

I work for a large Finance organisation in Aust and we are actually in the process of upgrading from 3.5 to 5.0 and the jump in functionality is awesome - I just want to avoid any potential traps eg avoiding EPS level structures.

Thanks

Andrew
Philip Jonker
Hi again,

As a matter of interest I am in the process of developing a set set of planning procedures, which is fairly project specific, and related to v5, as well as Tilos, a line of balance program, which we use in conjunction with Primavera v5. I would be interested in any constructive comments and will share my thoughts with parties. The project I am busy on is the Gautrain, and you will find the stats and facts if you search for it on the net.
My personal opinion, is that if we share ideas and experience, it will help all involved.
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

The concept is fairly simple, work with the program, and ask questions about what you do not understand. There is a few ground rules, like avoiding EPS code structures, and a few more. There is basics about the menus, I will try and send you a basic course, and then it is a question of asking questions when you get stuck. V5 is still not without bugs, but I think we have found most of them, and will try to draw up a list. Like things to avoid, little quirks, etc. This will be a bit of an onerous process, but let’s give it a go.

Regards

Philip
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mark,

Let me know whatever development.

I’m now migrating to P5. Bye bye p3, the old workhorse

Just like you, im learning.

It looks easy.

Cheers,

Charlie
David Blades
User offline. Last seen 10 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Philip

I would be very interested in any form of distance learning, what do you have in mind??

Regards

Dave
Philip Jonker
Hi Mark,

I am involved in a major project where we have implemted V5 and so far know most of the glitches in the software. Should you require help, do not hesitate to contact me, and if I cannot help, I have one of the best administrators, an ex primavera guy, and we will help where possible. Unfornately we are based in ZA (South Africa),but distance learning is not a problem.

Regards

Philip
Andrew Godfrey
Hi Mark,

We often run free Primavera seminars for exisitng customers - good opportunity to network with exisiting users. If you are interested let me know and I will email you the next time I arrange one. I am thinking of organising one for customers invloved with the 2012 Olympics in the next couple of months.....
Cheers,
Andrew
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Mark

Not quite in Heathrow or Gatwick but email me and I’ll see what I can arrange. Used to be at T5 so I may have an idea of what you are trying to do!
ncwinkley@gmail.com
(Can’t reply until at home)