Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Old fashioned merging

3 replies [Last post]
Emma Seaton
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone know if P3e v5 has anything along the lines of the old P3 copy & update facility? (y’know the one where you hit ctrl-V and it asks you whether you want to update existing activities, renumber, etc....)

I have two programmes, one of which is a copy of the other. The first programme is high level and is the one I’ve been working with and updating. The second one has extra activities included with the ones copied from the first programme. So, now I want to update the second programme with all the data from the first where the activity IDs match.

If anyone understands what I’m on about, can you help??

Cheers

Emma

Steve Oliver - if you’re online today, you’ve usually worked these things out already!!

Replies

Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 17 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Bill,

Thanks for telling this......... i never knew it.

Regards
Rashid
Emma Seaton
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Bill, that worked a treat! I hadn’t realised that when importing there were some options to select what action you want the import to do! I did try another method yesterday, which is probably more cumbersome and less reliable, which is to make Project 2 the baseline of Project 1 and then select Update in the Maintain Baselines screen. Then I restored Project 2 to a standalone project. It brought in most of the information, but I don’t think it did the user defined fields - your suggestion solved this completely!

Cheers

Emma
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Emma,

One way to do this is throug export/import using update option.

1. Export ’program 1’ to XER.
2. Open ’program 2’ and import XER of ’program 1’ that you created in step 1.
3. Choose Update Existing project as your import action in the Import Wizard and select ’program 2’ as the project to "Import to."

This will update ’program 2’ with ’program 1’ changes, but not remove any additional activiites that exist in ’program 2’.

There are additional update rules on the advanced import screen to further refine this, but the defaults should work fine for you.

I suggest making a copy of program 2 before you import just in case.

Regards,
Bill