Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Migration from P3 (ver. 3.1) to P3e ?

8 replies [Last post]
Jayant Aphale
User offline. Last seen 18 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello:

We currently use P3 (ver 3.1) to manage our projects and will be using the free upgrade to P3e (~ 15 users). Is there any information on setting up P3e relative to a smooth transition of P3 data to P3e? Need help in converting P3 data to P3e data.

Thanks.

Jayant

Replies

Jayant Aphale
User offline. Last seen 18 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hey All:

How did this thread change from "migrating data from P3 to P3e" to "how to use P3e"?

Jayant
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 13 hours ago. Offline
Niek, Thanks for your suggestion.

I have another problem, is there any simple way of adding activities in P3e as like pressing "down arrow" key button in P3, in P3e every time i’ve to use "Insert" key button to add a new activity.

Regards

Daya
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 1 year 50 weeks ago. Offline
The way to do that is renaming the current PMDB.GDB (if you to keep it) and replace it with a copy of the empty PMDB.GDB on the installation CD.

You only need to update your reference to the license key and then you can login with admin.

Hope this helps,

Niek.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 13 hours ago. Offline
Can someone guide me step by step procedure of how to configure/establish a connection to a new database instead of PMDB(default) in P3e/c via interBase.

The reason PMDB contains default EPS and resources etc., Is there a way to create a fresh database when i use interBase connection.

Alan Callow
User offline. Last seen 18 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
We have just done a similar exercise - although with fewer users; you will need to do a number of things but it is possible to import your plans directly - if you do this there is an awful lot of clearing up however. The best way is to define standard parameters - calendars; resources etc; and do the clean up in P3 before transfer. You will need to think about reporting requirements - WBS etc for P3e prior to import and develop EPS/OBS accordingly - try to keep these as simple as possible for a start limit OBS to your planners for example.
Take it step by step ie One planner’s plan at a time.
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

My opinion is the same as what Mr.Bill has.

Thanks & regards

Dinesh
Suggest you check out the Knowlege database on the Primavera site. There may be issues if you are converting several project groups. You need to do some data cleansing on resources, codes and calendars. The thing to remember is that you are migrating data into a common database and it is easy to corrupt/duplicate data.

Proceed with caution.

Dave Forrest
Senior Consultant
ForgeTrack Ltd
a.k.a. President of Primavera UK User Group.
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
you are heading for trouble i feel, if all your data is in p3,recommend you stay with p3.
my personal thoughts, not everyones.
cheers bill