Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

what is the best way of schedule UPDATE

15 replies [Last post]
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
HI,

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO UPDATE..IS TO RUN THE SCHEDULE AT THE NEW DATA DATE ,THEN ENTERING THE NEW DATES AND PROGRESS IN THE SCHEDULE..

OR

TO KEEP THE OLD D.D ,THEN UPDATE THE SCHEDULE THEN RUN THE SCHEDULE AT THE NEW D.D

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE AND WHAT IS THE BENFIT OF BOTH WAYS.
OR WHAT INFORMATION WILL HELP IN BOTH CASES.

THANKS

ALI
============================

Replies

Brent Hursey
User offline. Last seen 18 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Yes,
hours & cost update was my original question.
Ali Hamouda

hello,

did any one go through cost update and budget update before,

I usually observe that most of the people are talking about time update only.

thanks

Ali Hamouda
====================================
Puneet Gupta
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
The best way is to choose % complete type as physical, then applying actuals to those activities which are started or finished and updating there remaining duration. finally pressing F9 to schedule
I have a Powerpoint presentation on a very simple method for updating small to medium schedules. Email me at daveforrestuk@aol.com if you want a copy.
Alphons Bruns
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
Dear planners,

For your info, the complete manual is in the helpfiles

regards Alphons
Brent Hursey
You are great.
Thanks
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline
Ali,

I’ll send you a pdf of the page in question off-line.

Cheers,

Niek.
Ali Hamouda
Hello Niek Zonneveld ,

actually I don’t have any manuals . could you pls read for me from your manual and tell me the answers of my questions.

thank you for sharing knowledge.

Ali
================================
Brent Hursey
I would like to hear the answer to that also. Is it on line somewhere?

Thanks for sharing.
Niek Zonneveld
I hope I get the formatting right, but here is is:

Types of Activity Dates

Start The current start date of the activity. Set to the remaining start date until the activity is
started, then set to the actual start date. An ‘A’ after the Start value indicates that it is the
Actual Start; an ‘*’ indicates that a Start constraint is applied to the activity.
Finish The current finish date of the activity. Set to the activity planned finish date while the
activity is not started, the remaining finish date while the activity is in progress, and the
actual finish date once the activity is completed. An ‘A’ after the Finish value indicates that
it is the Actual Finish; an ‘*’ indicates that a Finish constraint is applied to the activity.
Actual Start The date on which the activity actually started.
Actual Finish The date on which the activity actually finished.
Early Start The earliest possible date the remaining work for the activity can begin. This date is
calculated by the project scheduler based on activity relationships, schedule constraints, and
resource availability.
Early Finish The earliest possible date the activity can finish. This date is calculated by the project
scheduler based on activity relationships, schedule constraints, and resource availability.
Late Start The latest possible date the remaining work for the activity must begin without delaying the
project finish date. This date is calculated by the project scheduler based on activity
relationships, schedule constraints, and resource availability.
Late Finish The latest possible date the activity must finish without delaying the project finish date.
This date is calculated by the project scheduler based on activity relationships, schedule
constraints, and resource availability.
Planned Start The date the activity is scheduled to begin. This date is set equal to the early start date by
the project scheduler but can be updated manually by the project manager. This date is not
changed by the project scheduler once you apply an Actual Start date.
Planned Finish The date the activity is scheduled to finish. This date is set equal to the early finish date by
the project scheduler but can be updated manually by the user. This date is not changed by
the project scheduler once you apply an Actual Finish date.
Remaining Start The date the remaining work for the activity is scheduled to begin. This date is calculated
by the project scheduler but can be updated manually by the user. Before the activity is
started, the Remaining Start is the same as the Planned Start. This is the start date that
Timesheets users follow.
Remaining Finish The date the remaining work for the activity is scheduled to finish. This date is calculated
by the project scheduler but can be updated manually by the user. Before the activity is
started, the Remaining Finish is the same as the Planned Finish. This is the finish date that
Timesheets users follow.
Expected Finish The date the activity is expected to finish. Typically, this date is entered in the Timesheets
module by the primary resource. When scheduling your projects, you may choose to use or
ignore the Expected Finish dates.
Constraint Date The date for which the activity’s constraint applies. Depending on the constraint type, this
date could be a start or finish date. For example, for a Finish On constraint, the constraint
date is the date on which the activity must finish. If the activity does not have a constraint,
this field will be empty.
Niek Zonneveld
For schedule updates please refer to the manual (and I would advise to stick to that sequence).

For a description of the fields also the manual will give a detailed overview called "types of activity dates". It is on page 280 of my 4.1 version.

Best regards,

Niek.
Ali Hamouda
what about actual dates?

in P3E there is a field called START and FINISH.

And I observe that this the fields for recording actual dates....what are those START and FINISH? and why there was no SUCH fields in P3.2..before we have ES,EF.LS,LF and once we record the dates in say ES it transfer to AS(example)..but in P3E we don’t have such thing.

can you pls explain in details?

Appreciation

Ali
========================================================
Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
If you want to update your schedule with the actual progress and don’t want to adjust the progress or dates to show the schedule impressive with on target. The sequence of schedule update should be as Niek suggested. In other case you could try to run the schedule with new data date and then update.
Niek Zonneveld
The preferred sequence is to capture and apply ’actuals’ and then schedule your project with the new data date. This will allow the software to calculate the remaining work, units and/or duration based on the (duration type) settings of each activity.

This is certainly the case when you use timesheets rather than manual updates.

Hope this helps,

Niek.
Razi Khan
User offline. Last seen 7 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hello

I usually first schedule with New Data Date then fill the actual progress. This way it is easy to visually follow the activities in bar chart area.

Previously I used to do in other way where I had to followup and concentrate on text and that was more difficult than following up bars as in this case.

Cheers.