Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3e&c trial, any pitfalls?

5 replies [Last post]
Ben Walters
User offline. Last seen 12 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
My company is going to get our P3 licensing current, and will ask for the P3e&c 90 day trial to switch over and use.

Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for, contractually or otherwise?

I’ve been told by many that I revert to 3.1, but I feel I need to give it a shot as P3 3.1 won’t be around forever and I need to be knowledgable about e&c when I must move.

Thanks,

Ben

Replies

Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The only authorised Primavera trainer in Perth is PCS Pty Ltd http://www.pcs-pl.com.au and their course schedules are on the web site.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 days ago. Offline
Primavera Australia has a rep in Perth, you will find their details on www.primavera-aus.com.

I would fly over and run a course. You would need to supply room, PC’s, software & students. Details on my web site, including costs.

The other more popular service I offer is one-to-one training where we set up the project/s, train the user and write procedures, so the system is embedded in the organisation and a workable solution is achieved. Often just a training course is not enough to get a product like P3e up and running after it has been loaded on the PC’s.

Regards

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Paul,

Do you or anyone in Perth (Oz not Scotland) know who runs courses on P3e, how frequently they run, how many days and how much per course.

Cheers
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 days ago. Offline
There are significant advantages and disadvantages of both products because P3e&c is not an upgrade of P3, it is a new product.

A move to P3e&c for some organisations could be a big commitment and any organisation considering a move should complete a Requirements Analysis and compare their requirements to the functionality of both products and select which is the best prodcut for their organisation, projects and IT infrastructure.

At the moment there are some clients to whom I recommend the change and there are some I do not.

There is an article on my web site titled Selecting Project Management Software which may be of asistance. I am also writting another article on implementing Scheduling Software systems which I hope to post on my web site in the next few weeks.

Regards
Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Planning and Scheduling Book Publisher
www.eh.com.au
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Ben,

Personally I think it is good to switch to P3e/c. However, few things that you have to look at carefully.
1. Number of existing users.
(P3e/c is strong in lots of users, however, if your company is looking for roll up all to one single database, then you better obtain advice from your local P3 dealer for support. It is a big task and if you not setting it right @ the beginning it will be twice as hard later on. If your company is using a all standalone version then its probably OK to implement alone)
2. Number of Other system linked to your existing P3
(If you use other database to print reports and analysis and is activily linked with P3 (Both Import and Export from P3) Then you need to reconsider because in P3e/c exporting is ok[a bit harder than P3 but still easy to use] however, importing is extremly difficult)
Solution, ask the expert (engage a P3e developer or consultant)

As a user of both product, I love the flexibility of P3 and the capability of P3e/c.

Good Luck and keep us in post.

Alex