Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

adding an existing project to another

4 replies [Last post]
Martyn Coates
User offline. Last seen 5 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

I have done this many times before but cant seem to recall how to do it in P3.
I have 3 projects, one of which i want to make the master and the other two, i want to add them as sub proects.

My aim is to look at both projects and combine the resources which will enable me to look at the projects collectively.

any ideas?

Replies

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
You r right b Mr.Cootes
1. I have suggestion that when you decided you combine projects mention the activity codes present in the project x as same as to project y then organize project x as group by project in activity code option so all your activity will get lined up the copy and paste into project y on doing so select rename duplicates only so you don’t have to change activity id, codes and other intelligence you built to each activity
Martyn Coates
User offline. Last seen 5 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
I did it

P3 will not let you join a separate project to a new one in order to combine 2 projects into one.
when you do this you loose some of the code values so is useless.
The only way is to create projects at the start then you can copy a new update into an old but existing structure.

The way to do it (combining projects) is to create a new one from scratch and add in the codes to the project.

copy and paste with a new layout so you dont loose code values on activities.

sort as you wish.
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Mr.Martyn i suggest you could merge two projects which you want to act as sub projects to share your resource
Then add the merged two projects as subproject to your master schedule using "Add this new project to project group" option present in add command of a new project
I guess it works since i did once
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 18 min ago. Offline
Martyn

In SureTrak you can do this using "Save As" into a new Project Group, I believe this procedure to be similar to P3 with regard to Project Groups. You might get into issues of ID length until you clear all activities by reducing ID length so when in a group added prefix is in compliance with the database limit on field length.

Sorry I no longer have P3, hope this helps.

Best regards,
Rafael