Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Week period numberSummary for total completed&started

8 replies [Last post]
KK KEYAN
User offline. Last seen 6 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Friends,

Mine it’s a villa project (305 villas),
In P3,
1)how to display the week period number(i.e. start on 1st day and finish on 9thday)in Bar chart or in column.

2) My schedule is having 38664 activities, I want to show a summary from which we can know activity wise no. of villas completed and no. of villas started. Please give your valuable suggestions as early as possible.

Regards,

R.K.KARTHIKEYAN,
DUBAI, UAE.

Replies

KK KEYAN
Dear All,

I’m using the same way (i.e. using MS Excel).

But I wanted to know that whether we have any option in P3 or no?

Thanks a lot for all of you.

Regards,

R.K.KARTHIKEYAN.
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hello KK,

Further to my recent posting, I said so because most often project managers or higher level of management don’t really appreciate much taking a look at our hundreds or thousands of program activities, rather they simply wanted report summaries. Our program then, simply becomes supporting documents in our reports.

Hope I am of help to you.

In Friendship,
Ferdinand
Ferdinand Fincale...
Hello KK,

Just another piece of unsolicited advice. Don’t be too dependent on the program or software that you are using because it may not always give you the answers or output that you wanted. Like what Arnold said, try to use excel spreadsheets where you can compute and customize report presentations in whatever way you wanted and which is also easier to understand at a single glance.

Be INNOVATIVE.

In Service,
Ferdinand
Carlito Ogoy
User offline. Last seen 3 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Create activity codes that can differentiate each villa. In lower levels of your code, create a common code that you can use to filter similar activities. You have 305 villas; therefore, you have 305 repeating activities. This is an assumption that each villa is similar; though possibly you might have some different villa types. 38,664 is too huge in one programme file, but too small I guess in one villa project, as you only have around 127 activities for each villa (Total 305 villas). What I am saying is, it would be easy for you to create codes in repeating activities. Use WBS as well. Then do the filtering stuffs.

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi KK,

You can try the following filter:

For completed activities:
"Percent complete" EQ 100
"Activity description" CN Foundation

For started activities:
"Percent complete" NE 100
"Activity description" CN Foundation

OR you can also use Resource if your foundation activities is resource loaded.

To count how many activities started and completed you can copy & paste to excel after filtering or assigned each activities using CDI & it will show the numbers of started & completed in the column.

Try this exercise.

HTH.

Arnold
PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
use start flags for first activities and finish flags for last activity, then filter
KK KEYAN
Dear Ferdinand Fincalero,

Thanks for your immediate response. I’m happy to be a member of this forum among the good planning people like you.

But I’ve some more queries.

I want to show activity wise completed villas and started villas.

For example, Foundation how many villas completed (i.e. Total Foundation completed villas)

Foundation how many villas started (i.e. Total Foundation started villas)

Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Ferdinand Fincale...
Hello KK,

To display week period number, set the ORDINAL DATE into WEEKS in the TIMESCALE tab.

For your 305 units of villas, I suggest for you to make 305 finish milestones for each villa. I said finish milestones only because what matters most in the higher level of management where you will be presenting the program is actually the completion of each villa. Startup of activities for each villa is flexible in the schedule as it will depend upon the leveling priority that you may set in the program. Likewise, the construction team priorities will also impact your program should there be an abrupt changes or diversion in their work execution.

You may also use hammock activities in your project control.

Hope I responded well to your SOS. Good luck in your 38664 update and monitoring.

In Service,
Ferdinand