Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

filter required for critical path

5 replies [Last post]
Jonathan Ward
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
hello all,
sorry if this seems liek ano-brainer,, i have defined my critical path by activities with a certain minimum float,, what is the quick criteria for my filter that will give me only those activities listed on the critical path?
many thansk
jon

Replies

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi John,

Longest path is not equal to a filter having TF=0

Check this link of Ron winter’s paper on longest path. Beautifully written and explained.

http://www.primavera.com/partners/files/Longest_Path.pdf

Cheers,

Ravi
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
John,

As I develop and identiy critical paths I give the affected activities an activity code specific to that path. This way I can make specific views for these paths and log their existence. It also allows me to effectively communicate the importance of certain otherwise minor activities with better reason than "the total float is low" which just tends to get sneered at by the executors.

Of course your method of filtering for total float < whatever is also good, especially at finding previously unknown critical or near critical paths.

Wael,

Use Tools/project utilities/Export... to export the variance data to DBF. Then you can open it in excel and analyze to your heart’s content. you could conceivably use custom a data item to store the result of the column subtraction but it is indepth, a pain nit he @rs3 and requires use of Global changes, which I am generally against where not necessary (and in this case export to DBF will do what you want, I believe)
WAEL ELHAJJ
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
my friend set your filter to longestpath EQ yes
you will get the longestest path , consider it to be the critical path. by that you can regulate the float and set it to around zero... thus you will be mostly efficient.
now if you wish, i have a question of my own..my friend ,
i might be facing a simillar problem yet since i am introduced to primavera since a very short time i wish if you can help me in what i am facing.
i wish to ask again some specific and nore challenging question regarding the use of primavera.
i am stuck on a stage where i want to find the difference between the variance at early start and the variance at early finish. all i need to know is how to perform column subtraction in primavera?
i tried using the converter to excel and do it there yet i am facing a proplem since MPX does not copy the primavera activity ID. what shall i do?
yours always , wael el hajj
WAEL ELHAJJ
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
my friend set your filter to longestpath EQ yes
you will get the longestest path , consider it to be the critical path. by that you can regulate the float and set it to around zero... thus you will be mostly efficient.
now if you wish, i have a question of my own..my friend ,
i might be facing a simillar problem yet since i am introduced to primavera since a very short time i wish if you can help me in what i am facing.
i wish to ask again some specific and nore challenging question regarding the use of primavera.
i am stuck on a stage where i want to find the difference between the variance at early start and the variance at early finish. all i need to know is how to perform column subtraction in primavera?
i tried using the converter to excel and do it there yet i am facing a proplem since MPX does not copy the primavera activity ID. what shall i do?
yours always , wael el hajj
Jonathan Ward
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
ignore this question i have just answered it myself,, i set the filter to read Total Float is Less Than #,,, however,, what if set the critical path to longest duration??????