Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Levelling Help needed

5 replies [Last post]
Renju M
User offline. Last seen 11 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear friends,

Could you explain me more precisely what is a resource constrained schedule and what difference it makes while doing the resource levelling in P3.

Many thanks

Replies

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Resource levelling is carried out to optimize resources, where float exists in the schedule. Resource constrained is where the available resources are constrained by certain factors, such as availability of certain scarce recources such as cranes for heavy lifts etc. You are most likely to use both methods in conjunction if you have float, however, if the heavy lift occurs in the critical path, you may apply unlimited resources to the activities in the path, obviously based on space, access and other restraints. Levelling ond constrained resources can be applied selectively. There is many ways to skin a cat.

Cheers
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Resource leveling is always carried out your resource requirement or priorities being critical during execution so this leveling should be done very carefully.

This is also true that more than 90% schedules are not Resource constraints and modifications are made manually for the satisfaction of the Client which should be avoided . Therefore built up realistic plans for timely completion of projects.

Amar Tahilani
User offline. Last seen 17 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Co-planners,
I had some doubts about resource leveling and though why not ask the best in the business (You guys)!
Well, as I understand, leveling is performed to optimize the resources (esp. Manpower). In my earlier job, we used to feed in the quantities and using production factors establish quantity of resources for each activity. The key thereafter was to optimize them. For e.g. I cannot expect my resource manager to provide me with 50 Masons in Month 1, 25 Masons in Month 2 & again 50 Masons in Month 3 coz it looks stupid on the face of it.
To optimize the requirement, I used to fiddle with the program and not use leveling of resources. Now I find that exercise a waste of time and wish to do it the scientific way.
I tried using the Resource Leveling function but the results were not apparent to me. Could any of you guys guide me pertaining to the same.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 38 min 55 sec ago. Offline
If your schedules are for construction jobs I would recommend never to allow the software to control activities durations as the construction activities are performed by crews, usually in a predetermined size(s), otherwise might be erroneous.

Sory this requires some trial and error in crew size for a best fit. Scheduling is 90% knowing how to perform the job, of course considering the issue of limited resources, 5% art and 5% knowledge of software at a 100%. 100% knowlwdge of software and 0% in the remaining might be dangerous.

With fixed activity durations a resource loaded schedule will also be leveled by the software. Keep in mind you have some control on leveling priorities.

Work is performed by resources, not loading a schedule with resources and not performing resource constraining will usually result in an unrealistic (overly optimistic) schedule. Unfortunately 90% of schedules I have seen are not resource constrained.

Some schedulers try to solve the issue of resource availability by creating false dependencies. Beware.
Anand Kulkarni
User offline. Last seen 11 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Renjith,

A resoruce constrained schedule is schedule built with resources as a driving with different calenders or common calender.
The entire schedule is built without any duration to the activity but with resoruces attached to the activity & their work-periods for the duration.
Thus while scheduleing the system decideds the duration of the activity & susequently the project duration based on resoruces availablity.

The major difference is all the resources are driving one.

Now while levelling the resources, if you had assigned unlimited availablity which is causing the working hours conflict or if you want the change the priority of sequence etc. the levelling will come in picture.

Otherwise if the resoruces work periods are diffened for the project duration & there is no project conflict, Levelling will not be required.

Hope this helps!