Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

As Late As Possible Scheduling

3 replies [Last post]
Ugo Marsolais
User offline. Last seen 20 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is there anyway to force P3 to systematically schedule ALAP (as late as possible) without having to use constraints on every task?

For now, I have only been able to do this by forcing the Zero free float constraint on each task. This then forces all tasks to start as late as possible.

The reason why I am doing this is for a pilot project on using Critical Chain in P3. And Critical Chain requires that you schedule ALAP instead of the traditional ASAP.

Replies

Alphons Bruns
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline
That is correct Ugo because it calculates on a forwart pass and also on a backward pass. So the late schedule indeed shows a as late as possible schedule.
Ugo Marsolais
User offline. Last seen 20 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks Alphons for the answer. I did not thought about that since I believed this was only a display trick...

But by trying it I have realized that since P3 is calculating a late start and finish date, this basically means P3 is scheduling ASAP and ALAP simultaneously, is that right?
Alphons Bruns
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Ugo,

In Bars you can select the late bar to show instead of the early bar. just go to bars and select the late bar to make it visible.

Regards Alphons