Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planned % age progress upto data date

6 replies [Last post]
victor griffiths
User offline. Last seen 17 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is it possible to find out the planned % age progress that should have been achieved upto the data date from the target file, just as we can get the actual % age progress from the current file.

Regards,

Victor

Replies

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 days ago. Offline
I agree that Alex has an alternative method, which will work, and he has picked out the main problem with this process.

To use the method I suggest you autostatus the Target 2 project using the command Tools, Update Progress, select all activities and set the datadate to the same date as your current project. This will update all activities as if they had gone according to plan.

This will also result in the calculation of the planned % complete.

It will also calculate the planned hours and costs to date and to complete of all resources, the actual and remaining duration of all activities.

This target may be and used at a later date if required and autostatused.

There is an article on my web site on the practical application of Earned Value Performance Measurement; I use this process in this example.

Regards
Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers
www.eh.com.au
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Tara,

To do that I usually use an activity custom data in P3 for displaying the Planned % complete.

Step 1 Save your Target Start date and Target finish date in Custom Data item "Plan start" and "Plan Finish"
Step 2 Run global change calculate the plan % by using the original duration, Plan start and Plan finish. (however, this process is only base on 24-7 as calculation) if you are using 5 day weeks or some other special calenda the calculated "plan %" is not 100% accurate.

You can also using this method to calcualte the planned hr usage for comparason. It is very useful to know exactly what you spend against what you plan to spend.

With P3e/c all these is figures is already calculated. And its simple to use. We are currently replacing P3 with P3e/c and tesing its functionality.

Regards,

Alex WOng
Tara Muddappa
User offline. Last seen 16 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Alex,

Agreed, but if you update the progress all activities gets rescheduled to a new ES and EF dates.

What we realy require is to have planned % progress (i.e by opening the update file we should be having a column field showing Target Planned progress compl).

Regards,

Tara Muddappa
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
I think autostatus mean update progress and it is part of P3 3.1 function you can select tool update progress and select the date you want to progress upto. remember to backup your schedule first.

Regards

Alex Wong
Tara Muddappa
User offline. Last seen 16 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Paul,

I dont see any autostatus feature in version #3.1. Could you please elaborate on the procedure.

All along I have been using graphical reports by creating an resource index "Progress" which is equal to the activity duration.

Regards,

Tara Muddappa
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 days ago. Offline
I take a copy of the baseline and make it Target 2. Then Autostatus Target 2 to the Data Date of the current schedule and the % complete of Target 2 (the Planned % Complete) may be picked up from the current schedule as Target 2 Percent Complete.

Regards
Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au