Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Actual Date / Data Date & Follow-up Methods

2 replies [Last post]
Chuck John Bernard
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hi!

I’ve created a planning, but I’ve heard different ways of updating it (by updating, I mean follow-up the progress).

Some use the percentage , some use the actual start, expected finish date ... Some launch calculation just after having check their actuals....

I’d like yo know what progress method are you using (if you could give me tips/detail) to implement the progress in your planing.

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards.
CJB

Replies

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Oops bernard,

AND IMPORTANT THING is u have created program and not PLANNING!!!
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bernard,

There are different ways of updating like

- On the basis of percent completion
- on the basis of remaining duration (RD)
- By updating the resources

But in any of the case, u need to put up the actual start and actual finish date. Once u insert actual finish date, percent completion will be 100%.

Most widely used method is percent completion.

Or the more easy way of monitoring is adding the resources which will drive the activity. Say concreting of basement raft; Qty is 9000 cum. and u have daily concrete pouring of 900 cum. Then add resource concrete yto the activity and then update how much concrete is poured and what is remaining.

This becomes more easy in case of horizontal spread projects (Like Pipeline, Roadworks etc.)than vertical projects (Like buildings and others)

Cheers,

Ravi