Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Successor/Predecessor in P3

6 replies [Last post]
Nishikant Choudhary
User offline. Last seen 20 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
My contractor had given me a schedule where most of the activities have certain activities with FF,SS status, as the successor and predecessor .
is it possible?????Coa i find it worrisome.

Replies

Nishikant Choudhary
Thanks Thomas ,
Can u please check on my other querry about weightages and the incorporation of the same into the p3 fold and suggest me some solution.

thanks in advance
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Nishikant:

That is also common in level 1 or 2 schedules. For example, lets say that you have one activity for the building foundation and one activity for the one story steel structure. You can not start erecting steel structure until some time after you started your foundation. Also, you can not finish your steel structure until some time after you finish your foundation. To reflect this situation in your schedule you need to have the steel structure as successor for the foundation, with both a SS and a FF relationship including a lag in each relationship.

Tomas Rivera
Nishikant Choudhary
There is nothing wrong with the FF or SS relationships.
However , what my Contractor has done is that , he has put the same activity in FF and SS mode BOTH AT THE SAME TIME as successor.It is this that i find worrisome.
I hope i have made myself clear of my problem.

Thanks in Advance

Bye for Now.

Nishikant
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Nishikant:

What is wrong about using FF or SS relationships?
Also, they are not necessarily related to a hammock activity.
If you have a schedule with general activities (level 1 or 2 of your WBS), it is very common to use FF or SS relationships.

Tomas Rivera
Nishikant Choudhary
Thank you for responding to my question.
Andy Petkus
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,

It sounds as if your contractor has tried to create hammocks and for some reason has failed to "gather" other activities into the hammock. You can get him to adjust his logic to clear the hammock.

regards,
andy