Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Schedule Weighting using the top down estimation tool

1 reply [Last post]
Nkoketseng Konopi
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi All

I am having a challenge with weighting my schedule using top-down estimation. I have used the top-down estimation tool for a while now without any hastles but I am experiencing some issues this time around. I usually weight my WBS in the WBS window by using a 100 i.e. 100% at Level 1 (Schedule Name) and I distribute the 100% across my Level 2 WBS Elements. I then go into the respective WBS Elements to distribute whichever weighting I have for the WBS element among its sub-WBS elements. See figure 1 below. pay particular attention to "Main Works".

Thereafter, I navigate to the top-down estimation tool and enter the the number of units I want to have distributed (Usually 1000000 Units) and click on apply. P6 then weights the activities in the schedule accordingly.

The challenge I am experiencing at the moment is that one of the weighted WBS elements does not become weighted in activity table and as a result, all the sub-wbs elements and the activities under that WBS element are not weighted either. See Figure 2 Below. 

Is there a work around this problem or is this a bug with my version of the software. My P6 promted for an update when I started work on Monday. I wonder if this could be a bug that came with the update. I never had this problem before.

Figure 1

Figure 2

Regards

Replies

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 30 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

I can't see the pictures.... also do not know how to do that.