Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Manpower , Manhour & Productivity

5 replies [Last post]
Ahmed Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 1 year 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
  • I have a big problem when I making the baseline Schedule  , Every Submittal for Approval the client make a new Comment ,

To Summarize the problem ,

The client need the schedule with Resource loading ( by Category And Manhour ) according to BOQ and Also The Productivity Should be same as the BOQ , and he need the S curve which I Make on Excel to Be Smooth

My Question , How I Aligned all of this together ? , I can make the schedule , and I put the resources by category according to the advise from the project manager ( 1 Foreman 2 helper 1 fitter etc… ) then when I check the resource assignment some weeks have overloaded resources and I can’t level it because the time will extend so I make it manually on resource assignment so the total resources per week not more what we plan internally and also to make the curve look smooth as requested form the client , and it take a huge amount of time , seriously it’s very Hard .

At all I done all I said previously , but the problem the client commented that the total manhour by Work class not the same as BOQ and Productivity is not the same the contractual one .

I Don’t Know how I Align all of this together , how I follow the milestone dates , and follow resources Category which our company will provide and they say it’s enough for the work , and Make the manhour as BOQ and Productivity as Contract and S Curve Smooth ?

What is the right planning Concept to follow ?

Can Anyone please Help me , May be I understood the Story Wrong .

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 46 min ago. Offline

If using P6 be reminded that P6 consider an even daily distribution for resource leveling therefore your leveling might still be overallocated.

• Reviewing Resource Leveled Schedules Using P6™
  • page 24:  4. Resource Curves. The scheduler can use P6 to define how to allocate the resource utilization over the duration of the activity. This is normally not a resource leveling issue because P6 resource leveling does not currently consider resource curves when resource leveling. P6 just uses an even daily distribution for resource leveling.
  • As far as I can recall the use of resource curves is recommended for initial summary planning with no automatic leveling.

If using Spider Project the software can automatically level for variable quantities taking into consideration how production rates might change.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

by deafult the resource distribution is a linear function menaing it spreads the budgeted amout over the activity evenly

what you can do is assign a resource curve to the activity or create your own curve to tell it how you want to distribute the resources over the duration front loaded, back loaded, triangular

go to the activit then to the resource tab at the bottom

right click and select customize resource columns and expand the General category and select curves

from there you will see a list of different curves select the one that you want and assign that curve ot that activity. 

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 46 min ago. Offline

man-hours

Please be reminded that billings should cover costs of idle resources and these hidden costs must be tracked and managed as not to loose money.

Cost-of-idle-resorces

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Sometimes the Comments have a lot of meaning because it depends on the interpretations of every reader. Can you provide the texts of the comments?
Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Sometimes the Comments have a lot of meaning because it depends on the interpretations of every reader. Can you provide the texts of the comments?