Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

SPI Help

5 replies [Last post]
Veronica Pal
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I have a Change Order on my project ( 100 hrs). How are these hours captured in SPI? Or are Changes not factored in to SPI calculations?

Thanks!

V

Replies

Robert Bell
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Veronica,

BCWS is budgeted cost of work scheduled, this is planned value. If you had a compensaton event/approved change, this would need to be reflected in your Key Dates and in the Prices. Effectively you would need to take a copy of your baseline, implement the changes there too, and this would become your performance measurement baseline.

Veronica Pal
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hello, how would his affect my SPI if a projects planned value doesn’t change? My understanding is SPI= Earned Value/ Planned value.. where the “planned value” is set when you baseline? Thx
Robert Bell
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Veronica,

I'm assuming these additional 100 hours are for future works and your client isn't arguing the work should have started already? In which case the additional labour would be a compensation event and, when approved, affect your ETC and remaining BCWS which would influence your future values of SPI but wouldn't affect any previously reported SPI values.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 22 hours ago. Offline

Schedule Performance Index which measures how you are performing against the palnned schedule. It is a ratio of earned value against the planned value. An SPI of 1 means you are on schedule less than 1 means you are behind schedule and greater than 1 means that you are ahead of schedule. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Veronica - Welcome to planning planet.

What is SPI?

Best regards

Mike T.