Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning and SAP

3 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

Just thought about checking what is the link of Planning and SAP. I have seen in many Job Profile requirement that the the person should know SAP also. Could anyone explain what is the link and for what SAP is used for. If it is useful what is it for and can it be used for EPC Projects.

Regards

Jithin

Replies

Ahmad Laji
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 14 hours ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

Dear fellow planners,

I'm currently doing an hotel projects and also destinations or theme park project. Wondering anyone have any SAMPLE WBS for my reference. I know i'm asking too much. hope someone willing to share WBS knowledge with me.

PLease send to my email: tmyong@hotmail. i will appreciate that very much and thnk you.

Regs,

Matt

Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Thanks Robert,

Was under confusion of what SAP would do to Planning. So now I got an aidea of what it would interface with. So It is a complext procedure.

Do you happen to know any book or website which can expalin how to interface and what it would give as an Output. You did give a summuray but I would like to learn in detail or atleast know. I dont think I would be using it.

Thanks

Jithin

Robert Mellalieu
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Jithin,

I am not an expert in SAP however it is generally interfaced to P6.It is used for all Financial data such as Works Orders for ordering Material, collecting timesheets and is the master data for collecting Actuals, cost and units. It is interfaced with P6 so that the Progress of activities can be synchronised with the spend in man-hours and cost. Earned value statistics are then produced via a reporting engine. Depending on the complexity this is generally another toolset again interfaced to SAP such as Ecosys, Open Plan Cobra, Dassian etc. P6 can do a limited amount of Earned Value it all depends on the complexity of your requierments and the capability of your interfaces.

A job profile looking for an expert in both is asking for a high end commodity as both toolsets are very complex to interface and run as an administrator. It can definately be used in EPC Projects.

Hope this helps