Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Multiple choice network scheduling and critical path drag quiz

3 replies [Last post]
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi, all.

I have tried to post some of the quizzes from my graduate classes on this forum before. However, there were two problems:

I couldn't figure out how to post a network diagram;

I was making them multiple choice so people weren't trying.

James Williams has now shown me how to upload diagrams, and I have made this quiz multiple choice. Please post your answers, and I will post my answers in a few days. (Of course, anyone with access to Spider Project can check their answers to the drag questions in that software! But I don't think Spider computes drag cost or true cost yet.)

If people try this quiz, like it, and let me know they liked it and they want more, I will be delighted to post more.

I think this quiz is a good place to start for understanding how to compute critical path drag, drag cost and true cost and also to understand why these computations are so important to a professional scheduler. For this quiz, I have made all the relationships finish-to-start (FS) and computed the forward and backward passes for you.

Diagram and then questions posted below.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

planning_planet_multiple_choice_quiz_1.png

planning_planet_multiple_choice_quiz_1.png

Replies

Stephen Devaux

Oopsy! One person who took the quiz just pointed out that I have not listed the correct answer for Q3, Activity E. If it has 8 days of float and it takes 10 days longer than planned, the end of the project would of course be delayed by two days.

Sorry about that -- it's what happens when you try to save time and effort by eliminating quality assurance! (It's also why I don't like multiple choice questions -- but people doing the quiz prefer 'em.)

Steve the Bajan

Stephen Devaux

That would be great, James. I really think a regular "puzzle" feature would add something to PP. (And network diagrams are kinda like Sudokus, aren't they?)

BTW, I should add that anyone who does the exercises but doesn't want to post their answers in the open forum can just send me a personal message through that functionality. I will be happy to give you your score.

Steve the Bajan 

Steve,

I am into a long meeting today so have printed this out and will give it a try.  

Regards... James