Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Gap in activties

7 replies [Last post]
abdullah choudhry
User offline. Last seen 9 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

If you see the attached image there is a gap betwen the activities. I am unable to find the solution for this, pls help.

Regards

Abdullah

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

I fear your loathing of Primavera has lead to a slightly biased response, there!

Progress overide and retained logic are two options Primavera provides to deal with OOS. Linking around tasks is another option Asta provides. None of these are guaranteed to generate the correct model, but arguably Primavera's options give the user more flexibility than Asta's.

The only way is to be sure is to fix the broken logic. -It will always require human intervention to decide how best to re-sequence when the planned logic has not been followed.

Cheers,

G

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Abdullah,

Changing from retained logic to progress overide may have solved your gap issue, but it has not solved the root cause of the problem, only hidden it.

The root cause is that you have out of sequence (OOS) working.  (e.g. you have an activity started with a FS predeccesor that has not finished)

You should review all progressed activites for broken logic, and correct that logic. Until you do so, you cannot be certain that the forecast dates Primavera is calculating are correct.

Cheers,

G

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Abdullah

I suspected that you were using P6 at the begining and you did not mention that you had a progressed project.

In Asta PowerProject there is a facility to re-link around tasks that are completed out of sequence thus avoining the retained Logic problem which seems to be a unique P6 problem.

Best regards

Mike Testro

abdullah choudhry
User offline. Last seen 9 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks :) I googled retained logic and got the answer. Quite helpful. Retained logic was checked when I run the scheduled when I checked progressive override the problem was solved. Thanks guy.
Mike Testro

Hi Andrew

What's retained logic?

I forgot the most obvious possibility - there are Must Start On Constraints.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline

Another option is that you are using retained logic when schedulling

Mike Testro

Hi Abdullah - Welcome to Planning Planet.

Sorry but no image on the screen.

There could be a number of reasons for a visible gap between tasks.

You should check the following:

Non work periods on calendars - resources have calendars too.

Lead lags on links.

Folding some Non Work periods on the horizontal time scale

Best regards

Mike Testro