Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 "Remembering dates" Quirk

5 replies [Last post]
Ben Janes
User offline. Last seen 11 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None

Primavera P6 V2

I have been having some issues recently in P6 where the software is remembering old dates and using these old dates to drive successors rather than the correct logic being the driver.

Basically I have some milestones linked to activites in my schedule and the milestones are being held out at a previous date despite the predecessor activities having moved to an earlier date.

For example; activity A was previously finishing on 25th May but is now finishing on 20th May but the successor milestone is still being held out on the 25th May.

I have checked the obvious solutions such as calendar assignment, no constraints, etc but the only way to correct it is to delete the activity and create a new one (at which point you have to re-assign all activity codes). It does not work just copying the existing activity and pasting as it still remembers the old dates!

Has anyone come accross this before and is there a solution or do I just need to accept it is one of P6's little quirks?

Many Thanks

Ben

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Definitely an "External Early Start" or an "External Early Finish" constraint.  Add the columns to your display and check.

Ben Janes
User offline. Last seen 11 years 1 week ago. Offline

Thanks for responses.

This is happening on just some activities, particuarly on my interface milestones between two parts of the schedule.

It is the Planned Start & Finish dates that are having the issues.

We are also finding circumstances where milestones have the asterix on the dates as you would if you had a constraint on the activity, but there is no constraint. However there did used to be a constraint on the activity.

It really is as though P6 is just remembering previous data and not updating correctly.

We are set to reboot the server tonight when everyone is logged off, maybe resetting the system might have an effect.

Thanks

Ben

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

Ben,

Is this happening on all activities, or just some? Just on one project, or multiple?

In addition to external relationships / constraints, it is also worth checking if you have any out-of-sequence working which may be causing the problem

Also worth confirming which date fields you are having problems with -early start/finish, late start finish, planned start/finish etc?

Cheers,

G

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Ben,

Look for External Constraints or relationships to activities outside of your current schedule.  Good luck!

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ben,

Strange! you probably have a corrupted data base. If you have a back-up file, maybe it is worth deleting the file and restoring the back-up one.

Good Luck!