Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating status using Iphone?

1 reply [Last post]
Craig Adams
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Has anyone experienced updating schedules using Iphone App?

During Shutdowns we need to keep our guys out in the field rather than having to come into the office to provide status, an app that would allow this would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Replies

Gord Taylor
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Craig,

I am in the middle of a turnaround right now and we are using the I-Pads to do remote updating.

The 1st thing to consider is type of facility. The I-Pads are not intrinsically safe and there doesn't seem to be any intrinsically safe cases developed for them yet.

If this is not a concern (as it wasn't for us) then I would suggest the I-Pad over the I-Phone due to size (readablity) and the limits on the I-Phone compared to the I-Pad.

The second would be internet coverage within the facility. No internet connection, no updates.

Our area coordinators log in to Oracles P6 Team Members website (you'll need IT support to set this up). Once in there is a simple to use interface that allows the coordinator to update the status of his/her tasks. They can start/finish a task, change the actual start date to reflect reality and email task information to other users. This is benificial when interconnected tasks are depended upon each other but are being managed by different people. In other words I can email my task info to my counterpart showing them the status of my activity and how it is going to impact their activity.

Another usfull function is STARING tasks. The user simply clicks a star beside the task header to identify it. This could be done for all the tasks being started today, then you can filter for stared tasks so you are only seeing the ones starting today. Or perhaps you need to identify all tasks requiring a confined space entry.

The only issue I am running into is users not paying close enough attention to the start dates when they update a task. I have several tasks that have been completed at some point in the future instead of yesterday. That is just a matter of training though.

Hope this helps some.