Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Relationships and the Critical Path. Confused

4 replies [Last post]
Mark McErlean
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello!

I am new to planning (6 weeks). It is my first job in the construction industry also.

I have been taken on as a planning engineer for a small-medium sized main contractor in the UK. I am the only planner currently and I have taken over from an experienced guy who was here for years.

So far I have been using ASTA v12 to draw up tender programmes and a few contract programmes also. I am not sure if this is normal or not but when I am doing the programmes I mostly use Finish to start relationships. Most of the time the client supplies us with a start date and end date for the project so I just slot all the the necessary activities in FS relationships between the dates. I use the prelims, drawings and past projects to determine the durations and spit the project up into sections, i.e Extension, Refurb, Building 1 or into phases of work if requested.

To my knowledge, construction is mostly finish to start activites as most things cannot start until another is finished, or sometimes mid way through completion therefore almost all of the tasks are critical I would imagine?

Clients sometimes as for the "critical path" shown in asta. When I click to show it most of the project is in red, is the correct? Or should I try having more tasks on start to start?

My firm do not really use the programmes to work out a finish date as my boss tells me when he wants it finished so I just squeeze the tasks to suit!

I also noticed that most of the programmes which were done before I arrived were not linked at all really, I am not sure why but is this acceptable? Should I always link tasks? 

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Conor

I missed out the main rule:

Every task should have at least one incoming and one outgoing link except the first and the last.

Even if it means that a task has one outgoing link to contract completion it should be there.

Regarding your Main Entrance problem the work here will be on your main access route for the trades in the upper floors so the finishing trades in this and the stairs zone will start after the main traffic has finished in the upper floors.

The finishings here will come down the stairs and out through the front door - you have to build the project in your mind before you start to plan it.

In Asta PowerProject there is an option in Tools > Reschedule to leave tasks with only one link to stay "As Drawn" so they don't move about on rescheduling.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Sam .
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Welcome to planning Conor,

If the previous planner was not linking the tasks in your schedule, then there cannot have been a true 'schedule driven' critical path, in which case the schedule is just a picture painted to keep the client at ease.

A true CPM schedule is one that is driven by logic (in your case it may all be F-S which is great). This means when it comes to updating, the completed work can be actualised as complete, and the remaining work (forecast) should show the critical path intact, or moved to other activities accordingly to new information from your Project Manager.

It sounds liike you are setting dates in your schedule and just squeezing the activities to fit - which is wonderful until something goes wrong and you cannot deliver on the set date, LD's are imposed, etc etc. This type of planning is just 'bar chart' planning, and not true forecasting of actual work scope. I've found in my experience (especially with contractors) that this practice is commonplace and often accepted because there is so much other stuff that is more important.

If the client are serious about planning, i'm sure they would have indicated this at some stage.

And, (more importantly) if you are serious about planning, maybe in a years time you might look to gain better experience with an EPCM or Owners team, generally they can mentor you and will do things a bit better.

All the best and have fun - dont take it too seriously!

Mark McErlean
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

OK thanks Mike!

Is it right that the planner before me did not usually link his tasks?

Am i right in thinking that if a project location i.e the main entrance is not liked to anything it is wrong? Should all taks be linked, even if it means making a relationship which doesnt exist in the real world just to hold it in that date? As when I use the 'Reschedule' function is will pull that unlunked summary to the start date

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Conor

Welcome to Planning Planet and the Planning Fraternity.

I am glad that I have got to you first because you are doing it right so far and with experience you will get better.

My rules are:

1.  Only use FS Links

2.  If a task is more than 10 working days it is too long.

3.  Set up the programme in 4 levels:

3.1  Level 1 - whole project

3.2  Level 2 - Location [Block - Zone - Level etc}

3.3  Level 3 Task summary in location

3.4  Level 4 - cascade of tasks for each trade working in the location.

4. Use Asta PowerProject summary bars for Levels 3 to 1 and work "Bottom Up" from level 4 to level 1.

5. Once you have created a FS cascade at level 4 then save the level 3 summary in a PowerProject file "Library" then copy paste when you need it again.

When you use these basic principles the critical path will develope naturally - if most of the tasks are critical then your programme is not detailed enough and is probably still at level 3.

Always remember that if you don't know what happens on the project then ask soemone who does.

And make sure you get out on the sites as often as possible.

Good luck and Best regards

Mike Testro