Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

New to Planning. Reading material suggestions anyone?

2 replies [Last post]
Mark McErlean
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi everyone.

I recently got my first job as a trainee planning engineer for a medium sized main contractor in the UK. I am mainly producing tender programmes using ASTA, I am mostly guesstimating at the minuite and making sure i stick to the overall dates which the client request.

The thing is my actualy construction knowledge is limited, so I have no real clue of what tasks are involved in say a refurbishment or a new build leisure centre or of the durations and order these tasks come in.

So I am wondering if anyone has any good construction / planning books/sites or any other information whcih might help me boost my construction knowledge?

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Conor, 

I recommend, “CPM in Construction Management” by O’Brien & Plotnick.  I believe that the Seventh Edition is the current one right now. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Connor

Welcome to Planning Planet.

The only real way to gain that kind of knowledge is by working on site for a couple of years.

If you do not know how to build it you will not be able to plan it and you will remain a scheduler putting together other peoples plans.

Nothing wrong with that - it is a career path that many people take but you will not progress without the basic experience.

I would therefore suggest that you ask your company that you be based on one of the larger sites with your laptop so that you can walk about and ask questions as to what is going on while carrying on as Trainee Planner.

I see that with you are using the best software but I would warn against picking up any bad habits that most planners use as a matter of course - see my PP thread on Ban these Planning Abominations.

At this stage in your career the best book I can reccomend is the CIOB - Guide to Good Practice in the Management of Time in Complex Projects - your company should have at least one copy but it costs £50 from the CIOB website. You may be able to get a cheaper used version from EBAY.

Good luck and best regards.

Mike Testro