Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Driving Predecessor Activity

8 replies [Last post]
AB Timo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello All,

I have seen a previous thread on this topic but i did't get Much idea from that.I just Want a Simple answer that If an Activity has More Than one predecessors then how can i Guess that which one of them is Driving the Successor activity.

Best Regards,

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Rhys:

Correct.

A driving relationship is one which defines the earliest start or finish date (depending on wether it is FS, FF etc) of the sucessor to that relationship.

Obviously as the schedule is progressed and changes to durations and logic happen, the relationship which drives a particular actvity can also change.

Rhys Parry
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Hello

A quick question in relation to the Driving Predecessor or Successor.

I have some activities that are ticked as critical and driving, so does that mean that activity is driving the selected activity.

i.e.  The predecessor is before so when that has finished this activity will start if its a FS relationship?

The Successor is after so if its a Driving activity does that start at the same time the linked activity starts as its a SS relationship.

Thanks

AB Timo

Thanks Gary You Really Made it Simple for me.

Gary Whitehead

1) Select View > Show on Bottom > Activity Details

2) Left click on an activity

3) From the activity details section at the bottom of the screen, select either the "predecessors" or the "relationships" tab (If neither tab is there, right click > Customise Activity details > add them)

4) You should now see all the predecessors of the activity on which you clicked. Right click on one of the predecessor columns > Customise Predecessor Columns > add the "Driving" column from the "General" group

5) any predecessor which has a "Yes" in the "Driving" column, is driving that activity.

AB Timo

Hi Mike,

Can you Please Elaborate a little More about the  "Vertical Link"

Best Regards

AB Timo

hi gary

I am Using Primaver P6

Regards

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Fiaz

The vertical link will most likely be the driver.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Gary Whitehead

Faiz,

What software are you using?