Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Aiport Hange and repair facility

10 replies [Last post]
Rajeev P.U.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Planners,

Our company has been awarded a new job of the Airport Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul facility. As this is my first job of this kind I look forward to have some guidance that may be helpful to develop the master schedule for the Client

This is a Design Build Contract. Currently we have only Schematic design which will be used to invite for tendering for the potential D&B Contractor.

Basically the project have Hanger with total area of approximately 40,000 sqmt, related workshops of approx 20000sqmt, Whirl stand, Chiller & generator plant, Fire pump house, Taxiway of approx 150,000 sqmt, infrastructure (services+roads+pavements), Hazard material storages, main and secondary substations, Head quarter building and ancillary buildings, Engine test cell area etc.

1.What would be the total time frame for the project? (22-24months including design and build is resonable)
2.Lead time for the structural steel for hangers including the doors, ACMS, Foam fire flooring etc.
3.Is the whirl stand and Engine run up test stand a specialized job and if so what is the time frame for procuring the equipment and constructing
4.Time frame for testing and commissioning works
5.Anything in specific to be considered in the taxiway pavement works?
6.Risk involved in this type of contract
7.What is the critical element in this type of construction (is it long lead items)?
8.Anything else to be considered that may be critical?

Please respond!!!

Thanks!

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 8 min ago. Offline

A lot of dirt a lot of trucks !!!

15,000 BCM x 1.25 (ratio of loose to bank) = 18,750 cm loose

If borrow from outside the jobsite then scrapers cannot be used and perhaps average truck size would be 20cm.

18,750 / 20 = 938 trips per day.

Don't know the distance to borrow pit(s) but this can mean a lot of trucks.

If a truck can make 20 such trips per day (10 hours workday per truck and 30 minutes per round trip) then you will need 47 trucks, but if only 10 such trips can be done by each truck if the distance is greater then you will need 94 such trucks.

An who said scheduling is not about availability of resources and volumes of work?

When I started as a rookie project engineer I personally would measure the capacity of each truck as even the hydraulic piston in occasions would reduce the capacity by about 0.75 cm, I also would make notes on each card about how many wood planks on the sides of each truck as the independent owners would take off one out of a possible 2 after the truck was measured.

Rajeev P.U.

I had used a wrong term in one of my earlier emails, in fact it is the imported fill material or excavated material (after passing the lab test) that is to be used for filling. We had made some investigation on the possibility of filling 15,000cbm per day, but the result was not promising. However as the option of giving enabling works separately to other contractor has been scraped due to some contractual risk, possibility of having parallel construction activity can be worked out if the scope is under the D&B contractor.

We have an area of approximately 800,000sqmt to be filled having an average depth of 1.5lm; the maximum depth is 3.0lm in some areas.

I have to find out from the steel suppliers and erectors based in middle east to get some details on the procurement\fabrication\delivery\erection program.

Rafael Davila

3 million cm of dirt is a lot of dirt. I would like to know the total surface area then. A possible strategy can be to have several earth moving contractors working on separate areas at the same time. If any one starts to fall behind you will already have in place others to take over if need be.

You mentioned sand fill for enabling works, we usually do not use such a cohesionless material for fill, ideally A1-A soil type. How do you compact sand? Do you need water and how much? Can it be an issue?

About the Structural Steel delivery, here it is not an issue for the size of our jobs, even when almost all steel is imported from mainland US. Our experience with US suppliers is that 99% they deliver as promised. But you are in a different location, in your case for this information I would call your local suppliers or steel erection contractors.

Rajeev P.U.

Hello Rafael,

It seems the abbrevation of million as "M" has been mistook as the unit of measure. In fact we have 3Million cubic meter of filling to be done as part of enabling works in addtion to reclamation of site, removal of trees etc. The earlier time frame (by someone) considered for these works was 1month for mobilization and 3months for filling+other works, which resulted in having an estimated quantity of 30,000cbm of fillling to be done each day. We raised our concern by pointing out that doing the filling in a tight schedule (24hrs/7week calendar) is very risky as there are chances of an early settlement due to poor quality of work.

As mentioned earlier we are planning to propose a time period of 6months for execution and 1 month for mobilization, which makes approx 15,000 cbm per day. What is your opinion about the proposed quantity/day, is it feasible? However we are doing some investigation in order to find a suitable contractor with enough resources to do these kind of job.

How about in getting some sort of procurement/fabrication/delivery period for structural steel? Also is it possible to calculate approx structural steel quantity for hangers of similar floor area? What will be the daily quantity of steel that can be fabricated in a big plant?

Thanks for suggesting to contact you via email if necessary.

Rafael Davila

You said you have 40,000 sm of Hangar floor area, 20,000 sm of workshops floor area and 150,000 sm of Taxiway and Roads. That a fill of 3.00 m is required.

It the 3.00 m fill is required underneath all floors this give a total of 630,000 cm of fill (Bank Measure).

If you are requiring a production rate of 15,000 bcm of fill then this result in a duration of 42 work days. This requirement does not makes sense, why such a requirement? Is there the possibility someone estimated this requirement in error? Why not 200 days to move 630,000 bcm (or 819,000 cm loose, at about 1.3 cm lose per bcm)?

Rajeev, if I do not respond in reasonable time please send me a message as I am not getting any e-mail for my subscriptions.

Rajeev P.U.

Hello Rafael,

Things are moving in a different pace now as the Current designers failure has been exposed by the Client. Due to this the designer was not supportive and want to leave the project quietly.

Since the designer was not aware of test cell area and in addition the Client came to know that it will take much time to do the D&B the Client decided to go ahead with the separate contract for that item. That left out with two items which needs to be tackled carefully. The enabling works (sand fill) and steel structure for hanger....any lead you can give on the duration for procurement-fabrication-delivery stages for the structural steel.

In this project it will be sand filling, something like 15000cbm to be achieved each day...the question is which contractor can do that as we are doing some investigation on this matter being a critical item.

Till yesterday it was so called FAST TRACK project....now the Client is very much concerned about their indicated duration of the project in their documents, as we also advised the Client it is not advisable to go for such short time to complete the project. Now being the Project Management Consultatn we have been asked to propose an optimum duration program to fix the end date for the project.

Thanks for the links...it is quite informative. 

Rafael Davila

I was involved only once on the construction of a Power Check Pad, testing facilities enclosed as per following satelite photo. The check pad is enclosed within the hangar to the right and the projecting structure is the deflector, also enclosed. The testing facility was for small figther jets but the National Guard duties changed to that of a transport unit.

Hangar and PChck Pad

We were contracted to do concrete works for Building Pad and taxiway, the Steel Hangar was by Owner. The location was on a "swamp", soil stabilization was critical. Maybe the facility was required to be enclosed because of rain and effect on concrete, maybe in your case sand can be an issue, don't know, I am a Civil Engineer but not a designer. It was a small job and a single concreting crew handled the job on time, a single roller screed and a backup unit did the job without problems. The schedule, simple: just pour 250 cy every day and you are on track. All you had to do is make sure earthmoving and other incidental work would allow for this rate, nothing out of the ordinary.

At least try to get conceptual drawings for your initial schedule otherwise it will be B.S., make it clear without some sort of preliminary drawings and specs you will not be able to deliver a responsible schedule. Have the others in your team put their eggs on the basket, it is not only you.

Try Googling for the keywords "engine power check pad", I got the following;

http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOD/UFC/ufc_4_212_01n.pdf

http://www.hushhouse.com/news.htm

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA527661

http://www.tpub.com/content/UFGScriteria/ufc-3-270-04/ufc-3-270-040096.htm

http://snodgrassconstruction.net/portfolio%20-%20projects-bcp.asp

Well I percieve the job as "Fast Track" therefore when I finish writing this posting your designer must have finished with the pad design.

Rajeev P.U.

Hello Planners,

Any information can be provided on the Engine test cells area.... there is not much information available, as the current designer on board has no clue about it?

What will be the total duration required to do the design, procure and construct the Engine test cell area including testing and commissioning? Separate time frame of each element will be of much help.

Thanks.

Rajeev P.U.

Rafael,

Thank you for the info.

According to the Designer who did the Preliminary design, piling has been ruled out.

Approx 3.0M cbm filling is required, which is listed as critical acitivity in addition to detail design.

The site is away from the residential area and closer to the existing airport.

I have to check with the team about the communication eqpts\cable.

How about the lead time for structural steel including doors for hanger, fire foam, eqpt for whirl stand etc.
What can be installation rate (in tones) per day for the hangers?

In your opinion what can be the project duration including enabling works , detail design and construction?

Rafael Davila

Don't overlook foundation requirements for the power check pad, is not uncommon to require pile foundations. Also check on enclosure of the pad and the deflector tunnel as some noise attenuation might be required if close to residential areas. As in all site work jobs wheather and soil stabilization can be of concern.

For the other facilities I perceive them as common task for anyone previously involved in such jobs.

Just don't let design fall behind, nor allocate too much for design and too little for construction, well managed Design/Build jobs shall save time.

Perhaps communication equipments and cable can be long lead delivery items, verify on this to make sure it is not.

I like your job, from my point of view highly desirable, not too risky unless you lowered too much your pants to get the bid.