Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 V7.0 How to sort by actual date

1 reply [Last post]
Andy Hillier
User offline. Last seen 13 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi guys,

I'm new to planning and am still finding my way round the P6 software. If someone could help me I'd be really grateful.

I have a large number of activities and am trying to group a small set of activities by the actual day e.g. On 1st December, these activities will be in progress. On 2nd December these activities will be in progress.

I have tried grouping by start date as most activies are only 1 day duration, but am looking to be complete. Is this possible in P6 v7.0? I realise this will involve duplication of activities.

Thanks

Andy

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 38 min ago. Offline

Andy,

You can filter for activities scheduled to be in progress for any range of dates, it can be a month, a week or a single day. If a single day remember to specify the range using hours and minutes as for the range to start the day early am and to finish the dame date late PM.

One day is too much granularity, I would consider filtering on a weekly basis.

Most software come with predefined filters for these purpose usually Primavera calls them "Look ahead".

I would keep my standard WBS for organizing the activities but perhaps would change sorting that will be applied within each WBS to be by start date. In my software I can select sorting per column by right clicking on the column title but other software have their own mean to do the same. Perhaps in P6 look for Organize Menu and there you will be able to select your sorting order. Make sure you have a way to return back to your original sort order, might need to define a user field for this purposes depending on how it was sorted.

Regards,

Rafael