Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What are your favourite project planning quotes?

3 replies [Last post]
Tamzin Morphy
User offline. Last seen 11 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
One of my favourite project planning quotes comes from Dennis Locke’s seminal book Project Management (1996 edition).

“never must the project manager allow himself to be persuaded or coerced into trying to expedite a plan simply by ‘marking down’ estimates without any justification [....] Such optimistic plans can gain a temporary advantage by serving to pacify higher management or by deceiving a trusting customer into placing an order. Unfortunately the truth is bound to emerge sooner or later, bringing consequent discredit on the company”

What are your favourite pearls of project planning wisdom?

T Morphy
www.planproject.co.uk

Replies

Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 12 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Dear T,

I will unquote what you have just quote base from my planning engineer experience (more than anything you can guess) and experience is the best teacher.

never must an experienced planning engineer allow himself to be persuaded by project managers, commercial managers or contract managers to present a non workable plan devoid of planning fundamental just to appease the company future contractual position and negotiation for EOT and associated prolongation cost (it may get the management bonuses from perceived future fantastic profits).

Such plans will never work even in partnership type of contract.

Unfortunately, the truth is bound to be known …

Thank you,
Scarlett
Tamzin Morphy
User offline. Last seen 11 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

I will search more carefully in future.

Tamzin
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Tamzin

This thread was started last year and contains most of the known quoted topics.

Go and search the topic before adding any more to this thread.

Best regards

Mike Testro