Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Proper distribution of Budget Cost in every activities?

3 replies [Last post]
Luis Gonzales
User offline. Last seen 11 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi to all Master,

I’m newly user of P6 and first time in Planning/Scheduling work,.We have tender BOQ and my Boss ask me to distributes it cost in every activities in the Master Programmed,..sample in particular,Lift/Escalator NSC,there is a Lump sum cost of 1,349,600 USD in the Tender BOQ,how can I properly distribute that amout in every activities under WBS Lift/Escalator?any suggestions would be a great help to me..

Thanks and regards

Luis

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 days 8 hours ago. Offline
Luis,
There is no settings required and very simple to use.
Open Top Down Estimation (Tools-> Top Down Estimation) then select WBS that required cost distribution (I assumed that resources is assigned with unit rates)
Select if Labor or Non Labor.

Top Down Estimation should show number of activities with resources and the equivalent units.

Example: WBS 1 = 5 Activities = 100 units
Divide cost that requires distribution by the unit rates define on the resources. (Note: If multiple resources you need to select the resource and allocate cost for each to use so you can divide the cost by unit rate for each resource)
Let say only one resource = R1 = $100/unit and the amount for WBS 1 = 6,500,000/100 = 65,000 units
Select Prior Experience and enter 65000 on Estimated units and click Apply.
You see that the previous 100 units is now equivalent to 65000units and proportionally distributed to activities.
Luis Gonzales
User offline. Last seen 11 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Sir Rodel

Thanks Sir.I am the one also acting as QS here,what I am doing now is I used the duration as weighting distributions in each activities..I get the equivalent percentage of each activities base on their durations over Total durations,am I correct in that way sir?..
one more thing sir how to used or How can I used the Top Down Estimation in P6,is there any setting that I need to modify?

thanks

Luis
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 days 8 hours ago. Offline
Luis,
If you are not sure on the breakdown for each activities under WBS (i.e. Lump Sump cost) you have two options.
1) Ask the QS or Estimating teams of your Project to gave you the weightings for each activity and use that as a breakdown.
2) You can use the durations as a temporary weightings of a lump sump cost and use that as a distribution. You can use Top Down Estimation of P6 which by default use durations as weighting unless you specified a WBS and Activity Weighting to distribute lump sump figures.