Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning and Project Controls...What’s the difference?

13 replies [Last post]
Jamie Trick
User offline. Last seen 15 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone would mind explaining to me, the difference between Planning and Project Controls? My understanding is that there really isn’t much difference between them, as most company’s will either have a Planning department OR a Project Controls department....

can anyone help shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Replies

Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi
for my experience the planner, schedule or project control position are seen in different way from diferent companies.

I experienced the PCM position as reporting function in some companies or as right hand of the PM integrating Schedule, Cost, Risk, Commercial & DC in others.

All are good and bad, but most important they all fit with in the organisation and it share of duties and responsabilities.

Cheers
L

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Basic responsibility:

Planning Engineer - prepare or review/approve schedules

Project Controls Engineer - work as above, plus establish a system in unifying the schedule, cost and documentation of the project (by WBS).

cheers,
Roberto Jr Bustos
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Basing it from the processes of PM in the PMBoK, identifying scopes, preparing the programme, or basically settingup the benchmarks on how to implement and measure the progress is planning.

checking and monitoring the actual against the plan that is part of the M&C is usually part of project controls.

but in small scale projects, these two are usually done by one person which they call planning engineer, etc.

these two are usually assigned to different persons in cases of multiple packages for large scale programme.

Jamie Trick
Thanks for your input, but as a Recruitment consultant with quite a frw years experience, I do realise that there are different situations for when salary is negotiated.

I was just looking for a general guide, but thanks anyway....

anyone else got some helpful indications?
Ashutosh Nema, PMP
User offline. Last seen 11 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Jamie
Salary is not based on PC or Planner,It is only based on your ability and how much you fit in the company’s requirements.

Ashutosh Nema
Jamie Trick
Thanks Gordon,

Well, it seems like everyone has their own interpretation of what a planner and project controls eng is....which was my opinion when I first asked the question really.

In terms of salay then....would a Planner earn more than PC or vice versa?

Go on the assumption that both have 5 yrs exp with similar backgrounds.

Your thoughts?
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Mark, Jamie,

Sorry, but I’d say it was exactly the opposite. I would expect a Project Controller to be sat on a project doing the handle-turning and reporting.

I would expect the Planner to be providing qualitative advice, guidance and options to the PM (taking a far more proactive role), and quite possibly fulfilling the PC role as well.

I would expect a Programme or Portfolio Planner to be doing the higher level, strategic interface role if one existed in the organisation.

Am guessing it very much depends on the organisation and sector, but the above pretty much tallies with my experiences in Nuclear and Pharma.

Any other weird and wild permutations elsewhere?
Jamie Trick
Good info,

cheers Mark
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
I believe there are two types of planning type roles:

1. Planner
2. Project Controller.

The planner is the person who works with project manager creating a detailed plan and controlling the project. The planner can work on more than one project.

The project controller works above the planner and looks at a portfolio of projects. The project controller will often concentrate on costs and produces reports for management.

Sometimes the planner and project controller are the same role.There is no ideal situation and each company has its own goals.
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Samer,

I’m sure most planners will tell you that their job involves an awful lot of monitoring and reporting.

There’s a push at the moment for PCEs (Project Controls Engineers) as they offer a ’more rounded solution’ being able to do aspects of the Planning / Cost / Risk and Estimating work.

To be honest, the majority of it is only what I’d consider to be strings to a decent Planner’s bow anyway, but it allows my end client to pull Tesco shelf stackers in, give them a couple of months training on the various systems and send them out into the world as ’super-duper PCEs’ with the gift of being, at best, mediocre at everything. Say hello to the future, the future is data inputters :/
Jamie Trick
Thanks for yuor help Omar.

Samer: So you want to know the difference between the 2nd and the 4th processes. I would suggest that you read the PMBOK to answer this question

Thank for your help?

Best,

Jamie
Omar Grant
User offline. Last seen 15 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Planning & Scheduling, Cost Control, Change Management are ’sub-sets’of Project Controls. Sometimes Document Control & Estimating also come under PC.

regards,

Omar
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Jamie,

This can be explain by refering to the PMI processes.

1) Initiation
2) Planning
3) Execution
4) Control and Monitor
5) Close out

So you want to know the difference between the 2nd and the 4th processes. I would suggest that you read the PMBOK to answer this question.

Best,

Samer