Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

"Performance % Complete" & "Earn Labor Unit"

9 replies [Last post]
Ross Yu
User offline. Last seen 15 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Gent,

We use P5 for our projects.

I have inherited a schedule which has the problem of not calculating the “Earn Labor Unit”.

The following are observed …
(1) “Performance % Complete” are all 0%.
(2) “Activity % Complete Type” are all set at “Physical % Complete”.
(3) Technique for Computing Performance % Complete is not “checked”
(4) “Duration Type” are set as “Fixed Duration and Units”
(5) Each activity has a resource assignment and each resource has a budgeted man-hour.
(6) No Baseline Schedule is attached to this schedule, therefore, the “Project Baseline” and “Primary Baseline” are all set as the “Current Project”.

I have tried the following …

(1) In the WBS, “Earn Value” tab, checked the “Technique for Computing Performance % Complete” to equal to “Activity % Complete”.

(2) I then updated the “Physical % Complete” of some activities. However, the “Performance % Complete” for each individual activity was not updated to its “Activity % Complete” as a result. ( I can see that from listing the columns.)

If I close the schedule and reopen it again, the setting in the WBS, “Earn Value” tab remained. However, if I log off from Primavera all together, and then sign in again and open the schedule in question, the setting in WBS, “Earn Value” tab were not saved – ie., it is now shown as "None checked off".

I have other schedules in used for other projects and I have not encountered the same problem.

It seems that the “Technique for Computing Performance % Complete” keeps resetting itself to blank (after log-off and re-log-in) is at least part of the problem.
However, I can’t find where I can fix this “resetting” problem.

I also tried deleting all activities and re-enter new ones. Same result.

Am I missing something here ? Any idea ??

Thx.
Ross

Replies

Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Ross,

And sorry for late reply... life is not always simple, and we only have 24hours/days.

Regarding your project,
1- In PROJECT view, create a new Project by "Add" under the appropriate EPS level (where you already have your original project) ; change the project IDs (the original one in OLD for ex. and give to the new one the correct Project ID.
2- For this new project (still umpty), change the Planned Date and Data Date ; these two dates should be the same as for the original project.
3- Open both of them
4- In WBS view, select all WBS elements of the original project, and do a Cut/Paste in the new one. That permits not to loose links you could have with other projects.
5- You can then select EV Technics for each WBS elements (and check also ETC Calculation ; during MSP transfer, we encounter same problems for this field as well).
6- Do not forget then to transfer baselines that you have on the original project under the new one.

That should work then.... Good Luck.
Patricia

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ross,

I am talking about price/unit should not equal to zero because I’m thinking that your problem is about the performance % complete doesn’t roll up in the summary. Now I know your problem is about the Earned Value Labor Units. Okey..

Did you update your schedule to the New Data Date and put some percentage in your Performance % Complete?

Try to check your Project Detail under Calculation Tab, mark the checkbox next to "Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complete changes". Make sure also that your Duration Type must be "Fixed Duration & Units".

Or maybe you can send me snapshot to my email p3-fer@sixco.ae

Arnold
Ross Yu
Hi Arnold,

To test the sugegstion, I made a copy of the schedule and deleted everything but two activities. Removed any base line schedule reference, so there is only the "Current schedule" to deal with.

I checked the resources Price/Unit from the "resources" tab. Using two different resources, and both are set to 1.0CA$/h effective 01-Jan-2007

Then recalculated assignment cost from Tool menu to update.

The "Earn Value labor Units" still shown 0 hrs after this exercise.

Ross

Arnold Puy
Hi Ross,

Make sure that all Resources Price/Unit is not equal to Zero, for BOTH Current & Baseline Programme (if there is). Otherwise, the problem still remain unsolve.

HTH.

Arnold
Ross Yu
Hi, Arnold,

Soory for taking so long to reply.

I checked this patricular schedule’s setting again. The price/unit is already set to 1.0.

Still no difference to the problem on hand.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ross
Arnold Puy
Hi Ross,

Performance % complete is related to money. Even though you have allocated the resources to each activities with Budgeted Labor Quantity without setting the price/unit.

In order to have the value in performance % complete not equal to zero during progress try to set the price/unit equal to 1 or whatever.

Just try this and see what happen.

HTH.

Arnold
Ramon Buado
User offline. Last seen 9 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Did it work?
Ross Yu
Hi Pat,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I just checked with the sub-C who first set up that schedule.

You are right on!! It was first created in MSP and then imported to P5.

Ross.

Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Ross,

Regarding this specific project that causes troubles with EV Technics, is it a project that you created directly in Primavera, or did you make a transfer from MS Project ?

We encounter this problem => EV technic and also ETC calculation formula that you cannot select when the original project was imported from MSP.

The way in that case is to create a new head of project, to transfer all the WBS elements under this new one, and then also the existing baselines.

Good luck.
Patricia