Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Procurement of piping Bulk material

8 replies [Last post]
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Planners,

I would like to hear some comments about the appropriate split for purchasing Piping Bulk material.

I just came from a project where the following split in my schedule for this important procurement was as follow:

Piping& fittings
Piping valves

In these two requisitions, we have placed all the piping material take-off.

Of course, my schedule could not report properly the delivery of this material to site.

At the end, we were communicating to Site with reports coming material system.

Cheers,
carmen

Replies

George Archibald
User offline. Last seen 11 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

One way to show bulk deliveries is to have one activity showing when first order has to be placed and a duration that shows when u want the last of the material on site, then add milestone activities for 1st delivery, 2nd delivery etc etc and show the milestone as complete when the material arrives.........this also allows you to show any forecast dates for late deliveries.

Regards,

George.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 12 min ago. Offline

Usually procurement is followed through the Purchase Order Module in your Financial System. Just transfer the data to your scheduling software either manually or using some import/export function.

You do not need to create an individual schedule activity for every material line item, to keep track of the details just use the material tracking functionality within your scheduling software. You can also follow up related submittal packages within this functionality.

Use whatever user field you need to create, you can even create flags add a delivery lag field and the like, you can follow up individual items down to tag id on your PID drawings if you have the need. For this there is simply no ones size fits all, it is up to you.

Photobucket

Ishmael Mutsvanemoto
User offline. Last seen 4 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

All,
Following on from your previous emails on this forum about bulk material, I am interested in picking your brains on the experience gained since. I am interested in tracking and reporting BOQ/BOM in P6 per WBS or other means in Primavera once the material is on site during construction. I would appreciate your help and if possible please send me a sample WBS to ishmael.mutsvanemoto@btinternet.com.

Thanking your in advance.

Regards

Ishmael
0082-10-8687-9498

Nar Thap
User offline. Last seen 15 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all,
I think, One of the objective of this forum is to share the knowledge on the arena one is less aware of or have one’s input/experieince on the topic. Some topics are helpful for members by simply going through it. So, Rather than having Personal msg , better if discussed in forum and let it share to other members too, unless the topics are very ’Personal’. Thanks
Frederic Fasquelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Carmen,

I have sent you a personnal message.
let me know about it.

Frederic
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Dieter ,Tahir

Thanks for your quick answer. I like to hear that someone else is having same problems that I do.

I was talking with material engineers and after my explanation of my need to have better split of piping bulk material, I got the following answer:

Valves: split by type of valves (as you mentioned).

Piping: at the schedule level that I am working with, I consider appropriate to split by type of material due to delivery Times. For instance:
Carbon steel piping
Stainless steel piping
Duplex piping
Another special piping material

Normally I try to get a rough idea of quantities. Normally for special piping material, quantities are no big BUT the delivery Time makes me show the pipe as separate.

Fittings: I was thinking to put all items in ONE, but TAHIR gave me a good idea regarding the two batches. I will check with material department about the chance of identifying fittings in such way.

Cheers,
carmen
Tahir Naseem PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi
It is true as mentioned by Dieter that there is no golden rule even we can can apply some thumb rule. As at our project we planned the same way in pipes, fittings and valves but for fittings we develop the following sequence which proved help full.
We distribute the delivery in three batches first should be at site when your sleeper and rack foundation work is going to start so construction team will start the fabrication works same time.
2nd delivery should be at site when pipe laying/erection work is going to start and of course the third delivery is basically based on the construction team requirement (based on modification in drawings or as FCN) which is not cover in early deliveries should be at site within minimum time based on schedule (here we use 8 to 12 weeks).

Of course fittings quantities are in thousand and thousands at any projects but in this way we can cover almost 90% to 95% accurately.

Regards
Tahir
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Carmen
You raised a very interesting topic - thank you. I don’t believe that we can find a general rule but maybe some "if-then". It will depend on the project and it’s constraints.
One item you mentioned: The requirements for reporting.
As we create the cash-flow out of P6, we have to be rather detailed in planning. This will be an advantage for the tracing as well.
- Valves sometimes have rather long lead-times and are in danger to get onto the longest path. So we separate them by type, supplier, and delivery.
- Pipes sometimes has a steady delivery during construction time - will lead to a long bar which will be overlapping with the construction. In other cases we plan per delivery.
- Bulk: mostly is a steady delivery as well. Sometimes there are two or three deliveries per project, then we might plan those deliveries. --> Depends on the requirements for reporting.
Sorry, no "golden" rule, just as we do it.
I am very interested to hear other opinions.
Regards
Dieter