Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to be more experienced

7 replies [Last post]
Xifan Xie
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Is there anyone can give some advices for the less experienced scheduler? For instance, how to define the activity list, relationship and duration etc. If you can provide some procedure of planning process, working interfaces with others and responsibility matrix, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

David Andreotti
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Shadow the Pm and Super as much as possible. Educate yourself by taking classes and reading on this site. check the prod-rates link to help with activities and their duration. Read the scheduling spec for the project. Get familiar with the software. Build some hypothetical schedules off to the side.
Zeinab El-Beialy
User offline. Last seen 13 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
HI Eddie,
I am almost in the same situation and facing same problem,I think tha main problem for the new scheduler is to know how a structure is built i.e the construction stages and durations how to estimate them and how to predict it.
kindly if you find some thing can help pass it please

greetings

Ricardo, Jr. Chua
User offline. Last seen 13 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
i’m also a newbie in p3, but i’m very willing to learn to those who are willing to share. my basic questions are, how far can p3 go in terms of scheduling? can i schedule subcontractors, ie security supply, camp O&M and things like that, or it must always be in the field of EPC?
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Eddie

To add to the excelent advice you have already been given.

If you don’t know something - ask someone nearby who does.

Try not to ask the same question more than once.

Generally you have to know how a structure is built before you can plan it.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Abhijit Kale
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
hi,
Visit site frequently
take a feel of the things wt u have planned.
analyze how it is going on site.
by this gain experiance.
and become more experianced

Cheers,
abhi
Thomas Ong
User offline. Last seen 16 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
You need to be "Experienced" in order to become more experience.
Ronald Romero
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Eddie,

Learning from experience takes time but you can learn from books and manual that are included in the documentation of primavera software. P3 Help file will also help a lot. Try to buy books on planning and scheduling. There’s a lot in the bookstore or you can but it online with minimal fee.

Having basic understanding also of computers and programming will also help you a lot in managing your schedule since complex schedule and anlysis can only be done with the computer. Try do get some tutorial if you need one. But the best teacher is doing it hands on and doing it yourself. Make a simple schedule and discover the operation of the software you will be using for scheduling be it Primavera or MS Project etc and learn the the logic and behaviour of the programme on different scenerios you can think of.

Regards,