Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Need experienced schedulers comments

3 replies [Last post]
Manochehr Hosseini
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

this topic may be be more related to Primavera P6 but i posted this one here since more experienced project controller are active in this forum. 

Problem Summary
---------------------------------------------------
differences bt BL budget & act. for past periods when converting and assigning current project as ba

Problem Description
---------------------------------------------------
Problem description: 
1- I converted the current project as baseline and assign it to the project.
2- in the administration Earned value setting I choose either of one of the options "Planned Value with current date" or " At completion values with current dates" 
3- I expect that the baseline schedule bars to be same as the current schedules bars which is correct no problem on that. 
4- I also expect that past period actual and BL Budget be the same up to data date point) and the balance budgeted values (or units) to transfer to remaining period of each activities but this is not what happening in P6. 
In another word when we revise a plan in certain data date the actual and planned should be same at data date, and from that time onward we will plan for the progress of remained activities of the project. 

the differences are coming from the "in progress activities" and the values for completed activities are same and correct. 

would you kindly check and let me know what is your idea about that?

Regars,

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

I guess that's the difference between project start date and data date or status date.

The first time you run your schedule, I suppose your data date is equal to your project start date?

Once you had made updates, of course everything will change, as things don't always turned-out as you planned them.

When making your progressed schedule as your new baseline schedule, for me, this means that you are also assuming a new planned start as may be you current data date? So maybe you can also consider that everything that was planned in the past (or behind your current data date) are equal to actuals? Maybe this is a wrong assumption.

In-progressed activities have past or history and have its own project start date.

Manochehr Hosseini
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Example:

We have a project with 500 Budgeted Cost,  with duration of 10 Months.

We already updated the project up to end on month 5, so our current Data Date is end of Month 5 and we have some actual different from the planned value: 

picture1jpg.jpg

Now at this point we want to converted our current project to the baseline and assigned it.

Based on basic planning concept I expectto see below result. 

picture2.jpg

As it shown above the PV of past periods should be same as actual and future period PVs should be adjusted by remaining budget.

But it P6:

For completed activities it is same as expectation

But for in progress activities that is not happening which leads the total figures to be wrong also. 

Ahmet Tuter
User offline. Last seen 2 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I may not have fully understood. But if you asking what portion of work is remaining and the corresponding cost, take a look at the earned value calculation formulas. For example, lets say you finished 70% of your work in 6 days, for a task that was originally scheduled as 10 days. It means you are ahead of schedule. The cost allotted for each day was 10 thousand lets say. And you spent 70 thousand. So costwise everything is as planned. Because you were planning to spend 70 thousand to complete 70% of work. Check the EV formulas- if you already did, then I didn't fully understand you.