Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

"KingPin" Retaining Wall

7 replies [Last post]
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 16 years 6 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am looking at a development in Dorchester, in which a kingpin retaining wall has been suggested. Can anyone explain to me what type of retaining wall it is, what the sequence would be and maybe suggest a rate ?

many regards

Andrew

Replies

Andrew Owenson
Andrew

You are SOOOO not Wrong !!!!!!!!!
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
In Romania they have a similar solution for temporary earthwork support. "A Berlin Wall" In this case H section steels are driven or bored into the ground and timbers placed between the web of the steel to retain earth.

Dorchesters a long way from Kent! Hope your passport is in order and watch out for the "moon rakers"!
Andrew Owenson
Clive

Thanks for that, I think I need to talk to the Engineer, at least I know what they are suggesting now

Best Regards

Andrew
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Possibly not unless the basement was shallow as the precast panel cannot be cast full height
Andrew Owenson
Chris and Clive

Thanks for your input - I assume that I could go for a pre-cast solution for the wall, or even use the pre-cast as a back shutter ?

Best Regards

Andrew
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Kingpin/kingpost is a driven augered h section taken below the founding level, a concrete wall is then constructed between the h sections from the top down in lifts of say 2m depending on the soil condition.

Is also a similar type of wall to a pipe pile wall except pipe pile wall is almost continuous.

Hope this helps
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andrew,

This is out of my area, but is this the same thing as an anchored retaining wall?

Chris