Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Retained logic & Progress override

5 replies [Last post]
Sooraj G Othayoth
User offline. Last seen 16 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Which is the best method to schedule a project - retained logic or progress override?
How is the critical path affected if we use progress override?

Replies

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I wrote an article explaining How does Retained Logic, Progress Override and Actual Dates in Scheduling Options work?

Kindly read it here : https://doduykhuong.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/how-does-retained-logic-progress-override-and-actual-dates-in-scheduling-options-work/

Sooraj G Othayoth
Hello David,
Thank you very much for ur help.

Cheers
sooraj
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hello Sooraj

If a project is generally running according to plan and activities are not progressed out of sequence then there will be virtually no difference between the two methods. BIG differences come when activities are progressed out of sequence.

Most of the time, or at least as a starting point, I believe in retained logic. Invariably that will produce the longest critical path but if activities have been progressed out of sequence, there could be some resulting illogical dependencies remaining, in particular resulting from dependencies with durations.

Progress override invariably produces a shorter critical path and again there could be some illogical lack of dependencies resulting from activities having been progressed out of sequence.

When using critical path methods for analysing delays the contesting parties will often select the opining methods to analyse their schedules – thus producing wildly differing results from what seems like the same base data. As part of their preliminary discussions, I believe that ‘experts’ should agree what method best represents the situation, in my experience neither correctly does. ‘Retained logic’ often needs some dependencies to be delated or their durations modified and ‘progress override’ often needs dependencies to be added to maintain logical sequences.

Whatever method is used a ‘sense check’ is required to ensure the resulting situation accurately models reality (well, as close as we can get at least).

Regards

David
Sooraj G Othayoth
Hello Christian,
Thanks for the reply. That was helpful.
Sooraj
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Sooraj,

I would say that it is up to the planner/scheduler which method would be the best to use based on past experience that would allow him/her to forsee the completion of the project(probable completion). By definition, retained logic will reschedule your all remaining activities to follow after its predecessor has been completed... and progress override with ignore the logic and allows activties to be out of sequence...

Using progress override will decrease the number of activities in you critical path (if critical activities have been updated)...

Cheers!

Christian