Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

100% progress - No Actual Finish Date

12 replies [Last post]
Ife Olyke
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Planners,

Who knows what impact it will have on a schedule, if you have series of activities that are 100% complete with actual start dates, but no actual finish dates. Thanks.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 43 min ago. Offline

Schedule Updating and Maintenance using Primavera P6

Activity and Project Status

• Activities reporting 100% complete without an actual finish date may behave differently in a CPM network than those with one.
  • The data transfer system should not allow 100% complete and no actual finish date when % complete and actual finish dates are essential to the updating, instead a warning should be provided, otherwise the procedure is flawed.
  • Microsoft Project avoids this issue by only using % complete as the updating mechanism.
  • Another way to avoid this flaw is for the software not to use % complete as an updating mechanism such as Spider Project.
Alex Carter
User offline. Last seen 4 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: MicroAgility

Ifeanyi,

Its simple it will result in delay of the project which means poor planning (apart from the case of uncertainty), activity is not completed, unnecessary cash will be spent in oder to complete the activity and worst it could resut in the termination of the project (in very rare case) and much more. :)

Alex Carter
User offline. Last seen 4 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: MicroAgility

Ifeanyi,

Its simple it will result in delay of the project which means poor planning (apart from the case of uncertainty), activity is not completed, unnecessary cash will be spent in oder to complete the activity and worst it could resut in the termination of the project (in very rare case) and much more. :)

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

then the activity is not complete 

it does not know when to stop spreading the cost and manhours for the resource

your store period performance will be incorrect

your earned value will be incorrect

your As built schedule information wil be incorrect. 

Ali Reza
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

Hi everybody, 

I imported updated schedule with actual start & finish date & progress % from excel file, import was successful, but for lots of 100% completed activities actual finish dates not available and instead forecast date available. Then I filtered 100% completed activities and manully added actual finish date, but today when I opened the XER file, again same problem available and actual finish date does not show for 100% completed activities. 

What is the problem???? 

Please help me. 

Sayed 

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Ifeanyi / Alex,

I think (Suppose) if activity has an open finish date with 100% complete, then it will simply calculate the finish date as per the duration:

e.g. If say, data date is 01st July 07 and
duartion of an activity is say 5 days,
early start is 01st July 07
early finish is 09th July 07
actual start is 21st June 07

Then finish date considered will be 21st June+ 5 days i.e. 26th june.

The Successding activity will be calculated from 26th June onwards or data date onwards.

My advise will be to always check the schedule log once the updates are done for the program and check out these types of mistakes if any.

:-)

Raviraj
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Ifeanyi

To answer your question,

If your activity hv an open finish date with 100% complete your EV for the activity will spread until you indicated the exact finish date
In addition, activity directly linked with the activity will calculated base on the datadate. So you better ask them close all those 100% activity
In addition, in normal condition I will look at the scheduling log to clear all the exception. and 100% without actual finish date is one of the exceptions

Good Luck

Alex
Ife Olyke
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks everyone for you comment.

I deem PP as a learning forum, and not a forum where others that perhaps know better are sarcastic (Raviraj take note). I agree this is fundamentally incorrect; however, this is the scenario:

There is Project Mgt system with a direct interface to P3. The PM system is being updated by the various disciplines on a weekly basis with progress and expended man-hours. At the end of each week, I run a simple process in the PM system that rolls up the progress, man-hours, actual start and actual finish dates from the package level to the WBS level. This process rolls up every activity in the PM system regardless of the time it was progressed. I utilise the interface between this PM system and P3 to update the schedule. Please note that the management and administration of the PM system is not of interest to you.

I have just realised that some of the activities dating as far back as 1 yr before I joined the company has actual start dates, progressed 100%, but does not have actual finish dates in the PM system, and consequently in the schedule. My concern is what impact it will have or must have had on the schedule.

Thanks.
Dev Tamboli
User offline. Last seen 10 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
you want this condition purposely in your program or it is a situation caused while working on primavera.

if you want to keep it like i=this purposely then you are trying to fool yourself or you think others are fool.

sometimes when working on programme this may happen because after updation you delete the actual finish date, but there will be actual start date present in the programe.

in that case all all the sucessor activities will take the early finsih and late finish dates of that activity for calculation purpose.

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
What for all these things are?

Is it possible that activtity completion is 100% but there is no actual finish date?

This is fundamentally incorrect. Even if there is an effect, either u had not been to school or you are making others fool!
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
ifeanyi

you need to let us know which software you are using and I can tell you the effect

Cheers

Alex
Karen Smith
User offline. Last seen 14 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Ifeanyi,
What would be the reason for doing this?
Doesn’t your client want to know when activities are completed?

Karen