Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

labor inefficiencies on the account of heat

4 replies [Last post]
William Sargent
User offline. Last seen 16 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’m looking for a table that lists a multipier to account for inefficiencies of labor due to extreme heat for a rangoe of 90 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit(32-43 Celsius)?

If there is information to help me tie this into a shut down of multiple shifts and increased daily duration of shift, that would help, too.

Thanks.

Very Respectfully,

Replies

William Sargent
User offline. Last seen 16 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks to everyone who posted a reply on this thread!

I really like this site and everyone seems not only helpful but knowledgable, too.

I found my answer using the National Electical Contractors Association’s "The Effect of Temperature on Productivity" published in 1974 to extrapulate the intel that I needed.

If anyone is looking for more info, look here:

http://www.necanet.org/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=search_results_sites&i...

The Effect of Temperature on Productivity
Published: 2004
Description:
The effects of extreme combinations of temperature and humidity on electrical labor productivity are identified. The results are presented in a series of tables and charts, which provide a powerful tool that can be used by contractors to adjust their bids during the bidding process and to support requests for time extensions and compensation during the construction process. To purchase this study along with the other six studies that comprise this entire report, see Index No. 5079CK - Productivity: Quantifying the Impacts of Adverse Working Conditions on Electrical Construction (Productivity Studies Kit).
View Related files (Note: these are in PDF format)
Table of Contents

Index Number:
5072-04 Format:

Thanks again!

Very Respectfully,

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
in some areas, it goes up to 53 degrees celcius, from around 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, people cannot work continuously for an hour if the work is outdoor, if it’s indoor, you’ll need air, at least provide them with a fan.

but in my case, oh it’s very cold in here...
Ife Olyke
User offline. Last seen 9 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
William,

It is evident that extreme heat impacts on the productivity of your labour. My opinion: depending on your planning unit, you can adjust your calendar to capture this impact. Consider this scenario:

Temperature: 110 degrees Fahrenheit
Activity: laying of bricks
Budgeted quantity BQ: 100 hours
Number of men: 2 per shift
Shift: 2 shifts @ 12 hours per shift

Assuming that the BQ is not under estimated or over estimated, if the work force is 100% productive, then the original duration should be 50 hours. For argument sake, I want to assume that the productivity of the work force under extreme heat is 60%. You can adjust your calendar for the period (months) of the shut down to compensate the effect of the heat by selecting non work hours approximately 5 hours per shift. Your original duration is still 50 hrs, but your calendar will have 7 productive hrs to do the job per shift. This makes your bars longer. I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Ifeanyi
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi William,

I can’t help you too much here I’m afraid, but you might get a bit of useful information from this thread on the forum. If you need more detail, click on the envelope icon next to any of the names, you’ll then be able to send a private message to that person and can ask them for more detail.

Chris Oggham