Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

S Curve with Early Finished and Late Finished

11 replies [Last post]
Sunny Vu
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I need help on how to create an S curve with early finished, late finished date, and progress earned to date.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

sakthivel sambandam
User offline. Last seen 13 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I am sakthivel from India, having more than 5 years in Planning (P6 & P5) in the water treatment Plant  and industrial project.

Presently am working in china, and right now am looking for new job. If any one having the vacancies in anyware in the world please send the detail to my emails,

Email id: sakthivel.sam@gmail.com

thanks in advance

Morteza Jafari
User offline. Last seen 11 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
SORRY, I shall add the rest my advise as follows:
8. sumproduct progress curves in a new work sheet based on early and late
9. make a chart from this table.

Reagards
Morteza Jafari
I have learned a logical way in all softwares with helping from excel,
1.to verify and accept total float of activities
2.add all early dates and late dates in your schedules,
3. make a copy from cloumns of activities, duration and dates in worksheet
4. prepare a matrix as project calendar in worksheet based on weely or monthly
5. make a normal or linear founction
6. make a planned progress for all activities
7. roll up s-curves from level of activities to summary level based on approved WEIGHT FACTOR
Morteza Jafari
(duplicate post)
Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
What I do in suretrak is define late dates as targets an produce a BCWS curve which I export to a spreadsheet. Before the project starts, the ACWS curve matches the early dates progam curve. So I have a set of early and late curves to plt against earned value, without using constrains.
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,
Preparing or doing this in P3. apply mandatory constraint to all milestone dates. To establish / create a correct late plan/schedule curve.
Hope this will help.

Reagrds,
MMD
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Yes, you are correct MSP will give you the late dates but the late dates alone will not enable you to create the data to produce an S-Curve as both the reports (which are in weeks only) and the Resources table will only provide data based on the early dates. Therefore the whole activity has to be moved to the late position to provide the necessary tabular data to produce s-curves.

I would be very interested if someone is able to provide a complete solution without resorting to assigning all tasks to ALSP.

Regards

Paul E Harris
Lye Yee Shin
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Paul E Harris,

Infect MsP also have two sets of dates, Early dates and Late dates, without going true the Step 2 and Step 3.

You can simply use Insert command from the menu bar then select Column and choose Late Start from pull down menu, repeat it for the Late Finish after (Step 1) ensuring you have a "Closed Network" and (Step 4) reschedule.

Regards.
Forum Guest
The process I have used to create a late curve in MS Project is:

1. Ensuring you have a "Closed Network", ie all activities have a predessor on the start of an activity and a successor on the finish of an activity. Ther sould be on task, the start milestone, without a predessor and a finish milestone with out a successor.

2. Set an interim baseline to review the activity movement against.

3. Review your constraints, in particular ay "Must" finish and "Must" start ones and confirm they are valid.

3. Change all other activities to ALSP constraint except the validated milestones.

4. Reschedule, check the schedule against the interim baseline and this should give you a late schedule which youa re then able to export the late costs, hours or quantities from.

I would welcome any other suggestions for this process

I try to avoid MSP for this type of scheduling as it does not realy have the functionality for this operation, most of this type of work I do in Primavera P3 as this is the product that most of my clients find acceptable.

Regards

Paul E Harris
Director
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Sunny Vu
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Paul,

Thank you for the information. Im new to this; therefore, I have to ask couple more dumb questions.

Looking at your EVPM paper on Page 9, the overall progress graph is exactly what Im looking. If Im using MS Project, what steps would I need to take to generate this graph? How were you able to graph out the planned late overall and planned early overall?

I really appreciate your time on this.

SVu
Forum Guest
There is an article on my web site at www.eh.com.au about the practical application of EVPM. You have not stated what software you plan to use or is it just and understanding of the principals of EVPM you wish to understand? I see four BCWS curves, Early, Early Levelled, Late and Late Levelled. The only one I feel is worth considering in Late Levelled and P3 will do this for you and the data may be extracted with the report writter.

Regards
Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au