Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

enhancement?

10 replies [Last post]
Mohd Mahd
User offline. Last seen 16 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
what could be the possible enhancement for a planning engineer in addition to his work experience? i failed till now to find suitable online studies! any idea would be appreciated!

Replies

Mike Harvey
User offline. Last seen 10 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Visit www.hpcconsult.co.uk and look up 'Planning Academy'. This will help your enhancement. Good Luck Mike Harvey
Clive Holloway
User offline. Last seen 8 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
I think that I understand what you mean by enhancement, unfortunately I do not know the answer, other than experience. By experience I mean being involved in a variety of projects. At one stage of my career working as a planner in the UK I used to oversee up to 4 or 5 medium sized projects at any one time. This enabled me to compare methods, review outputs, etc, and so suggest and implement appropriate measures.
Mohd Mahd
thanks for ur reply. i deeply believe in the following: 1)studying, then 2)experience, then 3)both together in the same time. the further studying (enhancement) i meant, is to enhance ur work methods, or find new (may be) better ways. in the 3rd stage, u look for different type of studying, like (and not only) professional degree. wishing i was clear. my regards, mohd
Clive Holloway
User offline. Last seen 8 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
What sort of enhancement are you looking for ? My company could provide you with training ? However, you can't beat experience. I trained as a Planner for 5 years after leaving school, working on site and studying on a one day per week basis. I believe that 5 years on site working would be better than spending 5 years studying at college full time. Experience gained in those early years on site are invaluable even today.
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the feedback Mohd Regards Colin
Mohd Mahd
this is a great answer, and very helpful inf. thanks a lot. i will check, and let u know the results through our home planning planet. thanks indeed, mohd
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Mohd I suggest you take a look at the Australia & New Zealand website http://www.anzpug.org, at Forums & Issues. Under Career Issues is the topic "Upgrading Employability" (http://www.anzpug.org/resources/issueemploy.htm). Although written mainly for an Australian audience, it has a lot of suggestions applicable to planning engineers anywhere in the world, including joining international project management organisations. Please let me (and others!) know if you find it helpful. With the help of PlanningPlanet, a Project Services Career Issues forum has been set up by PlanningPlanet, that is presently only accessible by people using www.anzpug.org. (http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/display_forum.asp?fid=6) However, if there is enough interest, the forum could be made available to all Planning Planet users. Hope this helps. Regards Colin Cropley PMP
Mohd Mahd
thanks for the replies. i will have a look.
Shamas Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 6 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
It all depends on how you want progress with your career. As planners normally have to work along side projects managers or team leaders it is a good idea to get an idea of the methods of working for these sort of skills. I would recoomned trying to study for the PMI exam. This would give you a great insight to the complete project cycle and hence improve the way you interact with the different functions.
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, check the Link sites in Planningplanet,you will find a plenty of organization to have study or to register as a member.Just go and check. regards ali