Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Budgeted Manhours

5 replies [Last post]
Athikah Hamzah
User offline. Last seen 15 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
I need help in calculating budgeted manhours. Please somebody help me........

Replies

BOULEKHSSAIM Abde...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,
Thank you for that, appreciat.
Keep in touch my freind

Abderrahmane.Boulekhssaim@kbr.com
or
aerski@yahoo.fr
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Boulekhssaim

You are quite correct that you use the budget quantities (BOQ) to generate man hours from standard outputs.

The problem is that the BOQ items never align with the bar chart activities so they have to be summarised into totals that represent the chart.

This is relatively simple in Lotus 123 but in Excell it is a bit more complicated.

To start you need to have the budget quantities in one sheet and the bar chart activities in another.

The bar chart activities will have a unique number in the left hand column for each activity.

This unique number is then set against each element in the budget that corresponds with the bar chart.

In Lotus you can then do a simple Dsum formula to add all the hours that correspond to each number nad transfer them to the barchart.

In excell you need to sort the schedule into the number groups and then =sum each block which can then be transferred to the barchart.

It gets a little more complex when in a multi storey project and you have 20 activities for plaster and they are all measured together.

Now you have to set up a matrix in another sheet which sets down each floor and a pro rata allocation of quantities.

This ratio is then applied to the total plaster hours and allocated to each storey in your programme.

If you are using PowerProject then the resource hours can be cut and pasted in 5 seconds - in P3 however you have an afternoons work typing them all in.

The next step is to assign gang sizes and set up the resource modelling system to generate durations.

Using Lotus and PowerProject I can do a multi storey projevt in about 3 hours - P3 would take me 3 days - thank you Asta Development for the P3 > PowerProject conversion facility.

Best regards

Mike Testro
BOULEKHSSAIM Abde...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Hamzah,
In order to calculate your budget manhour you have to have the budget quantity for each activity, from that and through your standard manhour you convert your quantity into manhours, the total of those manhours will be your budget manhours.
this budget can be modifie, depend to drawing revision you have every time to check your quantity, and before you finalize your baseline, you must check your new quantity.
Hopefuy that my response satisfy you, if any body has more detail or other idea, ill be glad to let me know.
Take care, freinds.
Athikah Hamzah
User offline. Last seen 15 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Mike

Thanks for the info. I’ll try to purchase it.

Cheers!
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Athika

This is the holy grail of the planners quest.

Go to the RICS bookshop website.

Look for the old Wessex estimating CD rom.

When you buy this it will give every output you will ever need in construction and M&E.

Good luck

Best regards

Mike Testto