Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Histograms - Baseline Budgeted Units VS. Current Schedule Actual Units

No replies
Chema Vecino
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi everyone, my first post here!

As the title says, my goal is to obtain S-Curves within Primavera that compare the budgeted units of activities using the baseline dates to their actual units using the current schedule dates.

I've read that "Resource Usage Profile" does not contain/can't display baseline data. Even if it is possible, I'm not sure that budgeted units are attached to the baseline.

Is there any way to do this withing Primavera that I'm missing?

In case this can't be done, what would be the best way to achieve this by exporting data to excel?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Chema

Jean Desjardins
User offline. Last seen 33 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hello Chema,

I would suggest to check your "Planned Start" and "Planned Finish" dates.

Try to align these dates with the baseline dates on one activity and see if it solves your problem.

If so, you can use a global change to set all the activities planned dates.

Jean.

Jean Desjardins
User offline. Last seen 33 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Duplicate post

Chema Vecino

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.

Because of this project's characteristics, the baseline was saved before any resources were added, so I had to update the units and resources fields on the baseline (just these 2 fields, leaving current deviations).

Now that I'm checking the baseline units in the "Activity Usage Spreadsheet", I see that the BL budgeted units are not assigned to the time period established by the baseline nor by the current schedule. Instead, these budgeted units are assigned to a later time period that changes for different activities.

For example, in the next screenshot, all activities were executed acording to BL, so "BL Project Labor", "Budgeted Labor" and "Actual Labor" should be identical. For some reason, the "BL Project Labor" has been moved to the Data Date.
In other cases, for non-started activities, the "BL Project Labor" has been pushed later in time and, in other different cases, the units haven't been saved at all.

1.png

I've tried to schedule (F9) for a previous date than the data date to re-update the baseline units, but this doesn't fix the issue.
Also, whenever I try to re-update, scheduling in the actual data date or a previous one, I get the error VQCMC-3684-A.

Any idea why I'm getting this error or how can I update the baseline so that the budgeted units are assigned to the correct time periods?

Chema Vecino

Error: message posted multiple times.

Chema Vecino

Error: message posted multiple times.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 14 min ago. Offline

Activity Usage Profile will give you the curves you want.

You might then need to export to excel, in order to:

have % complete on the 'y' axis

Have the data range table under the curve