Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

why my Baseline & Actual units showing different after assigning the current project as a baseline ?

7 replies [Last post]
Irfan Khan
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

dear all,

i encountered with the problem which seems something unrealistic : means u update my schedule & than i made a copy the current schedule as a my baseline.

here when i am looking @ my units its showing different for past month. whereas it should be the same asplanned.

please check the attachment for reference.

thanks…... wysiwyg_imageupload::

p6_prob.png

Replies

Ravi Katare
User offline. Last seen 9 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Replace planned start with start and planned finish with finish.

Try the GC;

If Planned start is not equal to blank

Then Planned start = start

And Next 

If Planned finish is not equal to blank

Then Planned finish = finish

And Schedule the project.

Pl share if issue persist

- Ravi 

Manochehr Hosseini
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Irfan,

I communicated this issue with oracle, no way to fix it with p6 for now, hopefully they consider it for future enhancement.

The only way that you have in your schedule is to divide in progress activities to 2 activity, and finished the first one on data date with a budgeted unit equal to actual, then you can assign the remaining unit to the second activity.

Regards,

Manochehr

Manochehr Hosseini

Dear Irfan,

What option have you choosen there? If you choose "at completion value with current date" it should be Ok.

I tried that in many projects and it works.

If you like send the xer file to my email m.hosseini@yahoo.com. I will take a look.

Regards,

Manochehr 

Irfan Khan

Dear, Manochehr Hosseini 

i did the same & dates are matching but as far as planned & actual units are concerned its still showing difrent.

how to get this descrepencies pleaase let me know.

thanks....

Irfan Khan

thanks to reply....

i did this setting earlier & my planeed & actual date are ok. but the only budgeted unit are showing diffrent.

any clue ?.......thanks.....  

Manochehr Hosseini

Dear Irfan,

The simple solution for your problem is that you need to chnage the default setting of EV calculation as follow:

admin menu ----->  admin prefrences---------> Earned value tab-----------> Earned value calculation tab-----------> change the settings to one of this option : "At Completion Values with current Dates" or "Budgeted Values With Current Dates"

Regards,

Manochehr  

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

This is probably the common problem around planned dates

Check out Paul Harris' explanation of the issue, and how to correct:

http://eastwoodharris.com/DL/TP/110616_P6_V7_What_Baseline_Bars_am_I_Displaying.pdf

Cheers,

G