Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

At Completion Units Calculation

No replies
YÜCEL CICEKCIOGLU
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Planners,

I want to make p6 calculate at completion units in accordance with actual units and % complete of activity.

For example i have an activity with 500 manhour reosource loaded and i choosed %Complete type as physical complete.

I started the activity and lets say the activity physical % complete is %50. i entered 100 manhour as actual unit.

So im expecting that the at completion unit should be 200 manhour, because i've spent 100 manhour to finish half of the work. But i couldnt figure how to make p6 work like this. 

Kind regards

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 13 min ago. Offline

Guys,

Very interesting. Rodel’s solution updates At Completion hours as well as Estimate at Completion hours, this means you lose some of the variances, but not ones I care about very much. It also sets Remaining Labour Hours to the same as Estimate to Complete Labour Hours, which I am not very comfortable with.

My issue with it is I am used to separate responsibilities for earned and expended progress. My solution means the update of expended hours does not require the authority to change % completes. This fits well with the security profiles of cost and planning I am used to. If there is only one person manually updating both, Rodel’s system will work much better than if the timesheet system is updating Actual hours under-the-hood. Automated timesheet updates are not authorised (yet!) to update Activity % completes.

Of course, some very bizarre results will happen if lots of timesheet hours are recorded ahead of Earned progress at the start of an activity. This is a familiar problem when calculating Estimate to Complete manhours, but Rodel’s system recalculates Remaining Manhours as well. If one person is updating all of the data into P6, and issues all reports, then the requirement for manual adjustment can be tracked fairly easily. My system was designed for 10-20k timesheet records a week, updated automatically  

Budget 500 hours, Earned progress 5%, Timesheet hours 100 = 1900 hours remaining, which may be true, but it is more likely to be a function of the early stage of the job rather than linear liquidation of the manhours.

Rodel:

Update units % complete –

Save units % complete to a UDF

Update ‘Real’ actual hours

Reload saved units% complete

Update remaining durations

David:

Update Physical % complete

Run Global changes to recalculate RD and Remaining resources/units

Manually update remaining duration and remaining resources for those activities where Physical % complete does not calculate RD or RR the way we want

Timesheet hours can be updated any time, any number of times, by somebody else

david kelly

Guys,

Very interesting. Rodel’s solution updates At Completion hours as well as Estimate at Completion hours, this means you lose some of the variances, but not ones I care about very much. It also sets Remaining Labour Hours to the same as Estimate to Complete Labour Hours, which I am not very comfortable with.

My issue with it is I am used to separate responsibilities for earned and expended progress. My solution means the update of expended hours does not require the authority to change % completes. This fits well with the security profiles of cost and planning I am used to. If there is only one person manually updating both, Rodel’s system will work much better than if the timesheet system is updating Actual hours under-the-hood. Automated timesheet updates are not authorised (yet!) to update Activity % completes.

Of course, some very bizarre results will happen if lots of timesheet hours are recorded ahead of Earned progress at the start of an activity. This is a familiar problem when calculating Estimate to Complete manhours, but Rodel’s system recalculates Remaining Manhours as well. If one person is updating all of the data into P6, and issues all reports, then the requirement for manual adjustment can be tracked fairly easily. My system was designed for 10-20k timesheet records a week, updated automatically  

Budget 500 hours, Earned progress 5%, Timesheet hours 100 = 1900 hours remaining, which may be true, but it is more likely to be a function of the early stage of the job rather than linear liquidation of the manhours.

Rodel:

Update units % complete –

Save units % complete to a UDF

Update ‘Real’ actual hours

Reload saved units% complete

Update remaining durations

David:

Update Physical % complete

Run Global changes to recalculate RD and Remaining resources/units

Manually update remaining duration and remaining resources for those activities where Physical % complete does not calculate RD or RR the way we want

Timesheet hours can be updated any time, any number of times, by somebody else

YÜCEL CICEKCIOGLU

Hi Rodel,

I would like to tell you that i've tried to update activity like the steps that i wrote below to avoid repetetitve % Complete action.

Ex: Act 1 = Budget : 500hrs
1-Select activity as started

2-İnput actual unit data to activity as 100 hrs

3-Update % complete as %50, and at completion unit will be 200 hrs.

and again thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Yucel

YÜCEL CICEKCIOGLU

Thanks Rodel,

That just worked fine and solved the problem.

Kind regards

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 days 39 min ago. Offline

I don't agree with David statement. You can progress P6 using Units. If you are measuring by hours or by units depending of what type of resources you are using (labor, equipment, materials), instead of selecting % complete type as Physical, select Units instead. Then when you status the unit % complete in the Status tab, it will automatically calculate the At completion Unit.

There is some guidelines that need to follow when updating statusing the Unit % complete.
* Calculation settings on Resource assignment under Project Details Tab must set to:
 - Subtract Actual from At completion (tick)
 - Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when duration % complet changes (untick)
 - Update units when cost change on resource assignment (untick)

Please Note: The labor units at completion is the sum of the actual plus remaining units for all labor resources assigned to the activity. Computed as Actual Labor Units + Remaining Labor Units. Same as the budgeted labor units if the activity is not started and the actual labor units once the activity is completed.

As the settings is Subtract Actual from At completion therefore when the unit % complete is status 50% the Actual unit will automatically calculate the Actual unit as % complete * Budget Unit for first update.

Ex: Act 1 = Budget : 500hrs
First update  = 50% --> Actual is calcuated as 500 * 50% = 250hrs
then if you correct the actual as 100hrs then the Unit % complete will change to 20% then when you correct the Unit % complete to 50% then your At Completion Unit will be calcuated as 100hrs / 50% = 200hrs.

YÜCEL CICEKCIOGLU
Thanks for your answer David
david kelly

You cannot do this in P6.

Which is very bad

There is no % complete type in P6, the equivalent of Spider’s volume % complete. So, you cannot express a percent complete that directly says “I have completed half the effort”.

Also, the field you are hoping to calculate, the one that alters how many manhours are left to do based on current productivity, is not ‘at Completion Manhours’ but ‘Estimate at Completion – Labour units’

There is a rather complex work around, that I created that has been used on literally millions of activities by now.

Go to my website WWW.P6david.uk.  Under the heading ‘David’s Tips’ look for Appendix I Progress

You must have the setting at the WBS level, Earned value tab, PF= 1/Cost Performance Index

This is about as complicated as P6 gets. The omission of a ‘how much work is done’ % complete type, is, in my opinion, P6’s worst ‘feature’

Good luck!