Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource question = Unit 1/d, budgeted 8 units AC=8, working all 5 days, my p6 histogram chart says 4 for the week? how?

No replies
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 6 days 22 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Resource question = Unit 1/d, budgeted 8 units AC=8, working all 5 days, my p6 histogram chart says 4 for the week? how?  - shouldn't it 40?  Shouldn't the at completion units be 8 units x 9 days = 72? Ok, so if this was saying 8 hrs day x 5 days = 40.  But being that it totaling to 8, it is doing less than 1 unit per day so for a week it would 4.  So if this was going to take 4 workers per day for 9 days, I would either have to increase Unit/time to 4/d or consider 1 "a crew day".  Then that would make sense.  But the contractor put 1/d for each labor item.  Would they normally have to define what 1/d is?  Or if that is crew days how many are in crew?

John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 6 days 22 hours ago. Offline

It been a while since I set up resources, but in user preferences there is a setting for "Time Distributed Data" and you can pick day.  I also recall there is somewhere on the charts where you can divide by for example 8.  Personnally I can visualize 10 workers for 8 days, than 640 hours spread over 8 days.  I wonder what is most common.  Personally I would like to see a manpower loading chart - but think this works better in excell than p6, but than also quantity / production rate - but generally just use the udf for these.  I think most people know it is easier to do cost as a resource, but it complicates it if you also have resources.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 27 min ago. Offline

'day' has no fixed meaning in P6. All data is stored in hours, and all calculations are done in hours. Both resource units and durations.

Try going into Edit User Preferences  and changing the duration unit to hours

Also set the histogam increment to hours, then days, so you can understand the 'real' figures