Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to stop from P6 from changing Planned Cost and Remaining Cost when updating Actual Costs?

2 replies [Last post]
Bryon McConnell
User offline. Last seen 1 day 9 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have activities in P6 to hold the actual costs for Work Elements, and these match the financial charge codes that are held in our corporate financial management system.  These "Actual Cost" activities have no planned units, no planned cost:  they just have dummy "Actual Cost" resources.  As you might expect, I enter no Actual Costs against the activities that describe the work of the project and that hold the resources.

For some of these "Actual Cost" activities, when I enter the Actual Costs, I'll return later to find that P6 has assigned them Planned Cost and Remaining Cost.  I haven't been able to figure out a pattern as to when it happens and when it doesn't.  I haven't been able to find a setting for such behaviour.

What could be causing P6 to sometimes auto-calculate Planned Cost and Remaining Cost when the user enters Actual Costs?  How do I stop it?

At the moment, I open a layout to show me cases in which this error has arisen, and then I manually zero-out those undesired values.  There must be a better way, yes?

Replies

Bryon McConnell
User offline. Last seen 1 day 9 hours ago. Offline

Now that I'm paying closer attention, I think I have found the problem:  those Actual Cost activities that are "misbehaving" haven't been started yet.  It seems that when one tries to assign Actual Costs to activities that haven't been started, P6 will make an assumption that you want those values to become part of the Planned Costs.

In this case, the situation is that project staff have been charging actual costs to a Work Element that hasn't yet begun.  It seems now that I have a warning sign for such errors, now that I know how to recognize it:  if the Actual Cost activities are showing Planned Cost and Remaining Cost, then, it's likely because the Actual Cost activities haven't been marked as started, which could be because the work itself hasn't started, and thus you have some invalid charges to be managed.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 1 day 24 min ago. Offline

make sure that for the resource that calculate costs from units is set to NO.

also for the resource make sure that auto compute actuals is NOT checked

also at the project level under the calculations tab make sure that Recalculate actual units and costs when duration % complete changes  is NOT checked also make sure that Update units when costs change on resource assignments is NOT checked.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 1 day 24 min ago. Offline

make sure that for the resource that calculate costs from units is set to NO.

also for the resource make sure that auto compute actuals is NOT checked

also at the project level under the calculations tab make sure that Recalculate actual units and costs when duration % complete changes  is NOT checked also make sure that Update units when costs change on resource assignments is NOT checked.