Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera Mid project baseline

9 replies [Last post]
Erik-Marius Riise
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi, I've just created a new baseline, a mid-project baseline on a project to track from now and till end of project. But I experience that the new baseline is not synced with the period actual earned value as I would expect.

Why does Primavera not do the calculation based on remaining unit value, and mirror the history? Is there a applicaton setting that I have missed out?

Here is an example from 1 of the activities. I would expect that the baseline before the datadate would be equal to the orange earned value, and to the right of the datadate would continue from where the orange earned value ends on the datadate.

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 14 min ago. Offline

Hi Erik,

I cannot see the snapshot that you mentioned. If the Earned Value calculation on Admin preference is already change to Budgeted Values with current dates and still having issues, you need to follow the first recommendation I mentioned in my first post. You have to changes the planned dates with current dates on the baseline and fixed all the out of sequence activities before attaching it.

Erik-Marius Riise

Thanks for you feedback Rodel,

Yes, I am using Financial period (bi-weekly). But looking at the comparison to Plan Value Labor units this seem to be the original dates, and not an updated comparison that I'm looking for.

How do you suggest (?), as I do not follow how the BL Project labor should not be used.

Please see the snapshot from 1 activity showing both BL Project Labor (actualised) and Planned Value Labor.

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Erik,

Actualised version means. It has actuals, updated and not fresh baseline with no progress at all.
Please note: If you are using the Financial Period you cannot used the BL Project Labor for comparison. You must use the Plan Value Labor Unit, Actual Labor Units, Earned Value Labor Units and Estimate At completion Labor Unit only. Plan Value Labor Unit is based on Project Baseline if assigned and selected.

Activity-usage-Profile-EV2

Erik-Marius Riise

Yes, both those settings are like your screenshots:

Erik-Marius Riise

Hi Rodel,

1. The mid project baseline is set as project baseline in the screenshot above

2. Settings for this project is to use Project baseline for earned value calculations

3. I'm not quite sure what you mean by actualise version as baseline. Do you mean current project? If so the answer is no.

Rodel Marasigan

If you are using Store period performance and updated every report cycle you can tick this and the S-Curve will use this instead. Activity-usage-Profile-EV

Although this option is already selected, you still need to change the Admin--> Admin Preferences-->Earned Value Tab-->Earned Value Calculation to Budgeted Values with current dates.

EV-Calc-Option

Erik-Marius Riise

Hi Zoltan,

Yes I use stored period performance.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

are you using store period performance ?

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Erik-Marius,

It's too difficult to analyse your problem due to lack of information such as:

1. Did you attach and assign the baseline to current project?
  2. Are comparing the correct baseline such as: Project Baseline or user baseline?
  3. Or is the problem occurring because you are using an actualise version as a baseline?
  4. If actualise version, have you fixed all the out of sequence activity
  5. If actualise version, have you corrected plan start and plan finish date match with start and finish of current project?
  6. Or if actualise version, have you change the Earned Value calculation under Admin preferences-->Earned Value tab from Budget Values with Planned Date to Budget Values with Current Date?
  7. If actualise version, have you split all in-progress activities to actual and not started activities (this is to eliminate the prorate actual values to remaining duration which causing the activities data not matching especially the % complete values)