Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 EPPM v20.12 LOE actual labor units not populating

25 replies [Last post]
Steven Montgomery
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

My project management level of effort (LOE) activity has progressed Duration % Complete 7.89%, but the actual labor units of the assigned labor resource is not populating. I tried the below:

1) Actions | Recalculate assignment costs.

2) Schedule option 'Recalculate assignment costs after scheduling' set to on.

3) Percent Complete Type of LOE project management activity set to Duration.

4) Set 'Recalculate actual units and cost when Duration % Complete changes' set to on.

5) Duration type set to 'Fixed Duration and Units'.

As I understand, actual labor units for LOE activities automatically populate when I progress the schedule. This works for P6 Professional. Is there a reason I cannot get actual labor units to populate for P6 EPPM? Do I have to manually enter actual labor units for P6 EPPM?

Any input?

--Steve

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 39 min ago. Offline

Hi Steven,

We can only assumed on the little information you provided. You mentioned that the settings are all correct as shown below:

and the resource data are the same as LOE data as shown on the sample below:

and the labor summary are correct as shown on the sample below:

Have you tried to do a sample project or test data to comfirmed that there is anomaly on the LOE activity? or is it only on your current project? Did you check that you are looking on the Labor units and not on the Labor Cost and you need to re-calculate the assignment cost because it is not syncronised. Or it maybe a bug on your system? Have you raised your query to Oracle P6 support to fix it? I have not encounter this bug yet but if this is correct, you need to raised your concern to Oracle P6 cummunity support to fix the issue.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 27 min ago. Offline

Steven, I cannot be of much help other than providing a few references as I do no longer use P6. 

Anyway auto compute is based on current data date and a new data date, if there is no date difference no auto-compute will be executed, maybe this is what is missing.

If the schedule update was previously run and you need to fix a missing value maybe your only option is to edit performance data.

If you are looking to edit the performance archive instead of running a schedule update a different procedure might be required.

I use different software and the schedule performance archive table can be edited but I do not know if/how this is done if using P6.  We can also edit the activity performance by selecting the activity and looking for the performance tab, maybe this can give you a clue on how to edit activity performance data but most probably you will have to calculate and manually enter the numbers.

Steven Montgomery

Rafael,

1) I have auto-compute actuals on for the LOE activity. 

2)  In Resources the LOE assigned resource has auto-compute actuals on.

Is there another setting? I can not get the actual labor units to populate by Actions | Recalculate Assignment Costs. Scheduling the project does not help. I have to use Actions | Apply Actuals. But that can not be correct. I should automactically update when I schedule the project.

Any thoughts?

--Steve

Robert Victor Gam...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Perhaps (I am not in a seat right now) the relationaships are in error. LOE is SS with the first actvity in the sequence and FF with the final activity in the sequence. I think it is OK to SS and FF with non-sequential activities, but that seems nonsensical to its purpose. Auto-progress can be turned on or use manual updates, but LOE is not a production actvity. It is completely dependent on progress of the Production Activities it overarches. It displays a Finish Date from the last activity in the sequence. 

LOE in later versions of P6 is the old-time P3 Hammock Activity. It does not have a duration of its own, it starts and finishes based on the activities it is SS and FF with.

It is typically a place for oversight Resources (Superintendent, Risk Mgmt Team, etc.) instead of production Activity Resources. Just because you can resource it does not make its mechanics behave any differently. It is SS with a production activity and FF with a final production actvity in the production FS matrix. 

i.e., a contractor or other stakeholder could be tracked as capacity for oversight (delays vs planned over concurrent locations, projects, etc.) but not for something like inspections/labs which are required for every matrix actvity's successful completion and is part of the FS logic and each inspection is trade-specific.

LOE is not a production activity. It is a parking place for management time and the duration is defined by the production activities it is tied to. It will never be Critical to Production. I filter them out of my submitted PES, as they are not Pay Items.

A Utility Enterprise used them erroneously to reflect Contract Duration. I advised them to make a Task for Contract Period; NTP FS Contract Period FS Substantial Completion. (Substantial Completion is 'typical'.) Add contract days for Accepted Owner Delays (logistics, acquisition, permits, etc.) or Acts of God like Weather, Covid, etc. drive the Substantial Completion Date.

Management is not a pay item, it is a contractor expense. Even in R&D or other Design/Engineering, Management is not a production unit, it is Overhead. I don't care what the contractor management team thinks, but they are inconsequential to Schedule Progress. If they are required to Production, then LOE is the wrong Activity Type and so, wrong relationships.

Resource the actual Production Activities in normal FS relationships, hammock the manager in the Oversight Role.

Rafael Davila

Auto-compute actuals is always the easiest updating method.

Do not forget to verify actuals for consumable/materials resource production and consumption. When a delivery quantity falls short you might need to re-schedule the deliveries and their quantities in order keep a feasible schedule.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Following up on Rafaels post you can add a column expand general and add auto compute actuals then do a fill down for all of the activities. If you are not using store period performance during every update i am not sure that you will get the results that you are looking for. 

Zoltan Palffy

Following up on Rafaels post you can add a column expand general and add auto compute actuals then do a fill down for all of the activities. If you are not using store period performance during every update i am not sure that you will get the results that you are looking for. 

Rafael Davila

The following might be of interest. Needless to say schedule updating might vary among software version, I stopped using P6 long ago but I hope this might help.

ORACLE Primavera P6 Applying Auto Compute Actuals to Activities

Primavera P6v20 the Apply Actuals Feature

Using Stored Period Performance in Primavera P6

Zoltan Palffy

steven ok must be another setting but any forecasted remaining labor units will be spread correctly

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Steve,

I am also using P6 EPPM 20.12 cloud server and I have also P6 PRO 20.12. If you can share your XER, I can check the issue and help you out.

Steven Montgomery

Rodel,

Everything checks okay, so I do not know what the problem could be. I am using P6 EPPM R20.12.

--Steve

Steven Montgomery

Zoltan,

Okay I assigned a front loaded curve to the resource on my LOE activity. Unfortunately, Actual Labor Units still does not populate.

--Steve

Zoltan Palffy

if it is a LOE it will not show correctly unless you assign a curve to it 

at the bottom in the resource tab select Resources then right click in the lower window and select Customize Resource Columns

Expand the General Category and select Curve

Then you can select one the defult would be a linear curve

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Steven,

I suspect, there is something wrong with the settings. Is there a possibililty that the LOE is constrained? Or the calendar assigned for LOE is different from the calendar used in the linked activities. Or are you looking for Labor units but the resources assigned is non-labor units? or vice versa? Or are you looking for Earned Value?

Can you confirmed that:

LOE activity start date = Resource start date
LOE activity actual date = Resource actual date
LOE activity finish date = Resource finish date

LOE activity Original duration = Resource Original duration
LOE activity Remaining duration = Resource Remaining duration

Under Resource = drive activity date is tick
LOE duration type = Fixed duration & Unit
LOE % Complete Type = Duration

Project Setting Calculation = Recalcualte Actual Units and Cost when duration % changes.

Steven Montgomery

I've tried all the recommendations. Unfortunately, the LOE Actual Labor Units will not populate when I progress the schedule.

--Steve

Steven Montgomery

I've tried all the recommendations. Unfortunately, the LOE Actual Labor Units will not populate when I progress the schedule.

--Steve

Zoltan Palffy
  1. Rodel you said that Under the Edit-->User Preferences--> Dates Tab--> change the setting to 12 hours and tick show minutes then click closed. You need the hours show because P6 default is 12:00AM and it will not allow you to change the date when it is earlier than calendar working hours.

All you need to do is to change the TIME on the data date.  You can chnage this to whater TIME that you want to.

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. Based on the info provided, I believe that the Resources is somehow de-link to Activity. You can check and correct this by going to resources Tab and follow step below:

1. Under the Edit-->User Preferences--> Dates Tab--> change the setting to 12 hours and tick show minutes then click closed. You need the hours show because P6 default is 12:00AM and it will not allow you to change the date when it is earlier than calendar working hours.
  2. Select the (LOE) activity and select Resources tab.
  3. On the Resources tab, right click and select Customize Resource Columns…
  4. Under Dates select Start, Planned Start and Actual Start (you can also do the same for Finished date but Optional for this exercise). You will find that all these dates are not the same with your Activity Start date. Change these dates the same as your (LOE) activity date.
  5. Under Duration select original duration, remaining duration and change them same to (LOE) activity duration.
  6. Under General select Drive Activity Dates. You will find it un-tick and make sure you select or tick.
  7. Under the Status tab make sure to un-tick the (LOE) activity Started and then run the Schedule (F9).

These should fix your problem. This is usually happened when the setting done after the activity and or resources has been added.

Any issues, let me know

Steven Montgomery

Rodel,

1) I am letting P6 EPPM automatically progress the LOE activity when I schedule the project.

2) The LOE durations are as follows:  Planned Duration 76-d, Actual Duration 2-d, Remaining Duration 70-d, and At Completion Duration 72-d.

3) The LOE actual labor units is 0.00-h.

4) Yes, 'Project Preferences' is toggled to 'Drive activity dates by default'.

--Steve

Zoltan Palffy

LOE has a SS predcessor and  ff successor

It cannot be any sooner than the start of the predcessor that it is tied to.

Once the predcessor is actualized then the LOE gets the same actual start date. 

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Steve,

To understand your current issue, what do you mean by (LOE) activity comes in earlier than planned?
- Did you manually input the progress?
- What is the (LOE) current remaining duration?
- What is the (LOE) actual labor showing?
- Did you check if drive activity date is tick or selected?

If you can answer these questions, I can visualise the issue and assist you further.

Steven Montgomery

Thanks for the reply.

The Project Management (LOE) labor units are Planned Labor Units 760-h & At Completion Labor Units 760-h, so they are equal.

Below are the Planned Duration and At Completion Duration comparisons:

Entire Project - Planned Duration 74-d & At Completion Duration 74-d

Project Management (LOE) - Planned Duration 76-d & At Completion Duration 72-d, Actual Duration 2-d.

Okay, the Project Management (LOE) Planned Duration does not equal the At Completion Duration. This may be a problem, as you mentioned. However, I have a project with the similar situation in P6 Professional and the Actual Labor Unit value populates, as expected.

The Project Management (LOE) activity comes in earlier than planned. Why would this cause the Actual Labor Unit value to not populate?

Any thoughts?

--Steve

Steven Montgomery

Duplicate - Please delete.

Steven Montgomery

Duplicate - Please delete.

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Steve,

Assuming that all the settings are correct including drive activity dates are tick and Duration percent Complete are automatic based on the linked activity that already started, did you check the budget unit is equal to At completion Unit and Original duration is equal to At completion duration? This usually overlooked and causing issues like what you are experiencing now. Please note that P6 using Duration % Complete is calculated based on (Original Duration - Remaining Duration)/ Original Duration *100 = Duration % Complete and Actual Units = Budgeted Unit * Duration % Complete.